Did I do alright? Watch

EstelleA
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Today was my English Lit mock exam. I did a question on Macbeth and Christmas Carol. I’m predicted 7s and 8s, and so far have been getting 6s and the occasional 7.
The question for Macbeth was to explore how Shakespeare presented attitudes of the supernatural by using Macbeth and Banquo. The given extract being the conversation between Banquo and Macbeth after the witches prophecy of Thane of Cawdor/Glamis coming true.
Points I made:
• Macbeth in the beginning of the play was skeptical about the Witches- he was intrigued, curious by the prophecies they were making.
•Banquo was also ambitious, and he was also curious. But some might say he was more wary of The Witches as he didn’t question them as much. (Similar to a Jacobean audience reaction)
•In the extract, Banquo describes them as ‘instruments of darkness’- the metaphor represents the witches as objects of hell and evil.
Banquo is now fully skeptical of the witches, etc.
•Macbeth is elated- he questions the witches evil nature, and prompts it as good instead. He trusts the Witches, trusts the supernatural- this would make the Jacobean audience question the sanity of their ‘brave’ protagonist.
•Then I talked about Macbeth later on in the play: how he depended on The Witches for reassurance, how he yearned and how he was driven to insanity. How he went out of his way to find the witches and ask the questions that have been running through his mind. I made the prompt that Shakespeare wanted to create a terrifying and different insight: that the supernatural was an addiction. Macbeth, with his vaulting, used the words of The Witches to soothe him, reassure him.

What do you guys think? What grade would you give? Any tips for upcoming exams? Thanks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Zasty
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
if it was written properly you'll certainly get a 6 minimum,
Remember A02 tho
EstelleA
Rep:
?
Any tips on revising A02? Thanks
Tashax2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Does the whole of England have the same paper ?
EstelleA
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tashax2)
Does the whole of England have the same paper ?
No, it depends on which exam board your school uses
Tashax2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by EstelleA)
No, it depends on which exam board your school uses
Which one do you have ?
Estermont
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
All I know is that you wrote better than what I wrote in the real thing
EstelleA
Rep:
?
Which one do you have ?
I do AQA. So that would be Macbeth, A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls and some poetry
Tashax2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I do AQA. So that would be Macbeth, A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls and some poetry
Yes I do aqa too Macbeth ,Christmas carol, lord of the flies and the poetry ,, how was The Christmas carol exam ?
EstelleA
Rep:
?
Yes I do aqa too Macbeth ,Christmas carol, lord of the flies and the poetry ,, how was The Christmas carol exam ?
It was actually good, I (obviously I wrote better in the exam) wrote about

•how in the beginning of the Christmas Carol, Scrooge was kind of fearless- didn’t care about society’s thoughts on him, didn’t want to like Christmas like everybody else, just got on with his job.

•How the future spirit symbolised a silent, slow and lonely death added a quote from the extract about that

•I wrote about how the spirits may actually represnt scrooges deepest and darkest fears- his childhood, god.

And then I talked about some other things that added to them, and about how Scrooge’s fears changed and instead how he was fearful of tiny tin dying and how mankind treats poor people etc

But I did run out of time and wasn’t able to write as much as I could. Really nervous about that.
EstelleA
Rep:
?
(Original post by Estermont)
All I know is that you wrote better than what I wrote in the real thing
Could I ask what you wrote? How was it?
Tashax2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It was actually good, I (obviously I wrote better in the exam) wrote about

•how in the beginning of the Christmas Carol, Scrooge was kind of fearless- didn’t care about society’s thoughts on him, didn’t want to like Christmas like everybody else, just got on with his job.

•How the future spirit symbolised a silent, slow and lonely death added a quote from the extract about that

•I wrote about how the spirits may actually represnt scrooges deepest and darkest fears- his childhood, god.

And then I talked about some other things that added to them, and about how Scrooge’s fears changed and instead how he was fearful of tiny tin dying and how mankind treats poor people etc

But I did run out of time and wasn’t able to write as much as I could. Really nervous about that.
That sounds pretty good tbh ! What was the question? I love your idea about how the spirits represent his fears , did you enjoy the book? See I don’t really enjoy it I get confused on the different spirits so
EstelleA
Rep:
?
That sounds pretty good tbh ! What was the question? I love your idea about how the spirits represent his fears , did you enjoy the book? See I don’t really enjoy it I get confused on the different spirits so
Thanks! The question was How does Dickens present Scrooge’s fears in A Christmas Carol- we were given an end tract of Scrooge first netting the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (46)
61.33%
No (29)
38.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise