The Student Room Group

An American at Uni—HELP! Advice needed!

I’m looking at UK universities to study music. I’ve been to London and Bath a couple times, and Leeds once. No where else in the country, only all that touristy stuff. However I’m in love with British culture and history, and every time I’ve visited, I’ve felt like I belong there.
So! I’m ready to pack myself off to Britain for Uni. HUGE history buff but I also love my piano. I’ve set my sights on a BA in music or a Bmus. Ideally I would love a joint honours degree in Music and History, but we can’t have everything. Also, I’m trying to do it on the cheap.
Here are the Uni’s I have considered (mostly because of their price points) thus far:

Bath Spa
Chester
Brunel London
Queens Belfast
Goldsmiths London
Huddersfield
York (my favorite so far, but £18000 for international students!!)

Please PLEASE help me out if you know of any Uni’s that offer decent music/history degrees, and on the cheaper side for us international students.

If you’ve read to the end, thank you dearly and have a wonderful day
(edited 5 years ago)
There’s a reason for the difference in price - York is far better regarded than all the other universities on your list (with the exception of Queen’s Belfast).

Queen’s and York are Russell Group; the others are all former polys.
Original post by LeapingLucy
There’s a reason for the difference in price - York is far better regarded than all the other universities on your list (with the exception of Queen’s Belfast).

Im sorry im a student at brunel and we defo arent a former poly.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_glass_university
Original post by LeapingLucy

Goldsmiths and Brunel are not.
York or QUB are definitely better regarded but I'm not sure how good they are for music.
Brunel is probably the least bad out of the remaining 5 (and bonus that it's near London)

Don't just go for the cheapest one, it's still going to be expensive af so might as well go for the best university you can.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by arigziegler
York or QUB are definitely better regarded but I'm not sure how good they are for music.
Brunel is probably the least bad out of the remaining 5 (and bonus that it's near London)

Don't just go for the cheapest one, it's still going to be expensive af so might as well go for the best university you can.

Brunel is in london. Hillingdon is a London borough
Original post by niteninja1
Brunel is in london. Hillingdon is a London borough

Yeah but you've got to admit that Uxbridge is quite a trek from Zone 1.
Original post by arigziegler
Yeah but you've got to admit that Uxbridge is quite a trek from Zone 1.

I can get to Westminster in 45-55 min

Google maps seems to think it's more around 1h05-1h10Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 2.33.38 am.png
Either way it's still pretty far from central London, perks for cheaper accommodation but potentially problematic for other things.

I can get to Westminster in 50 minutes and I live 20 miles outside of London!

Brunel is in the Greater London suburbs rather than the city.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest