itlstallion69
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The question requires you to find the hcf/gcd of these polynomials: x^3 + 2ix + (1-x), and ix^3 - x^2 + 2, I`m trying to use long division, but the polynomials have the same degree, so I can factor out an i, but nothing else??
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by itlstallion69)
The question requires you to find the hcf/gcd of these polynomials: x^3 + 2ix + (1-x), and ix^3 - x^2 + 2, I`m trying to use long division, but the polynomials have the same degree, so I can factor out an i, but nothing else??
Not worked it out fully, but assume they have a common factor, z. For the two polynomails F and G, then (factor theorem)
F(z) = G(z) = 0
Does such a z exist? Note i(G(z)) will also be zero. From a quick sketch which probably contains some mistakes, there should be two such values, so the HCF is probably a quadratic and therefore the LCM will be a quartic.
Last edited by mqb2766; 2 years ago
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by itlstallion69)
The odd form of your first poly. - the (1-x) - together with the fact that Wolfram says the HCF is 1, makes me think there's a typo somewhere.
itlstallion69
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Sorry, the first polynomial ends in (1-i)
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
https://www.wolframalpha.com/widgets...becb7c18d017e6
is still giving an HCF of 1? Do you have a picture of the question?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (175)
58.72%
I don't have everything I need (123)
41.28%

Watched Threads