The Student Room Group

Boarding School - PLEASE HELP!!!??

So,

I may be going to boarding school in January.

And I want to know how to deal with home sickness, missing your parents etc.

Please! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump:colondollar:
Don't go to boarding school and just save the money if you're that worried
Reply 3
Well, the boarding school is about the same amount as my current school. And, I wanted to know how people deal with homesickness.

*I worry about everything. If I stopped doing stuff because I was worried then I probably wouldn't do anything.

Thanks anyways!
Reply 4
Bump:colondollar:
Reply 5
Does anyone have any advice?????
Just talk to your parents for the first few days. Keeping in contact is probably the best one. As the days go on you're gonna start making a lot of new friends and eventually not worry much at all. Chances are most people going to boarding school probably also miss their families, so at least you guys have something in common. Honestly, I've never been to boarding school so I wouldn't a great help tbh lol.
Reply 7
Thanks!

But, I am a bit worried that everyone would've already settled in. I mean I'd be going in January.
Reply 8
i dont know if ur a full boarder or not, but try not to go home for the first 2-3 weeks at leaat. This will kind of force you to make friends with people and you will have to learn to be without your parents the hard way. TRUST me it will be so much easier like that. also, you will make friends no matter what, because people in your house will always make an effort. but you also have to make one: awkwardly follow people, ask to hang out/go to lunch together, etc its all worth it in the end. i love it!
Why are you starting boarding school? I know you say you worry about everything, so you wouldn't do anything if you just avoided it because you were worried. I fully understand that, however boarding school isn't exactly something you have to "face up to", if you don't want to go you don't have to (unless there's a real reason, hence why I'm asking).

Anyway, if you HAVE to go, my best advice is to keep busy, and throw yourself into as much as you possibly can from as soon as you start. Try to talk to lots of people - don't spend too much time on your phone/laptop etc (if you're even allowed those). You are at a bit of a disadvantage starting later than most, but I'm sure you'll still find people to talk to, and it'll get easier once you're in classes and maybe clubs etc.

Keep in touch with your family, but don't cling to them - if that makes sense. Send the odd text, and phone occasionally, but don't make it an "every break" thing or even an "every day" thing tbh. I think you'll get more homesick if you don't get the distance right away. That's what I found at uni, anyway.
Original post by Anonymous
But, I am a bit worried that everyone would've already settled in. I mean I'd be going in January.

Most people will have started in September. Does the school you're going to have a January intake or is it just going to be you? If they have an intake, then you'll be in classes made up of fellow Jan starters, which would help with that one. BUT, how would the fact that others have been there for a while affect you missing home and family? Best thing to do is keep in contact with your family/friends and keep busy: busy making new friends and with all the work you'll need to do since you'll be trying to do eight months of work in five. Which school might you be going to?
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Why are you starting boarding school? I know you say you worry about everything, so you wouldn't do anything if you just avoided it because you were worried. I fully understand that, however boarding school isn't exactly something you have to "face up to", if you don't want to go you don't have to (unless there's a real reason, hence why I'm asking).

Anyway, if you HAVE to go, my best advice is to keep busy, and throw yourself into as much as you possibly can from as soon as you start. Try to talk to lots of people - don't spend too much time on your phone/laptop etc (if you're even allowed those). You are at a bit of a disadvantage starting later than most, but I'm sure you'll still find people to talk to, and it'll get easier once you're in classes and maybe clubs etc.

Keep in touch with your family, but don't cling to them - if that makes sense. Send the odd text, and phone occasionally, but don't make it an "every break" thing or even an "every day" thing tbh. I think you'll get more homesick if you don't get the distance right away. That's what I found at uni, anyway.

So, I'd have to go to boarding school because the school would be a 6 hour flight away from school. I mean, if I said I don't want to go I wouldn't but the thing is. I don't know if I want to go!

Thanks!
Original post by Pigster
Most people will have started in September. Does the school you're going to have a January intake or is it just going to be you? If they have an intake, then you'll be in classes made up of fellow Jan starters, which would help with that one. BUT, how would the fact that others have been there for a while affect you missing home and family? Best thing to do is keep in contact with your family/friends and keep busy: busy making new friends and with all the work you'll need to do since you'll be trying to do eight months of work in five. Which school might you be going to?

Thanks! If I went I'd be going to Ruthins (a school in Wales).
Original post by Anonymous
So, I'd have to go to boarding school because the school would be a 6 hour flight away from school. I mean, if I said I don't want to go I wouldn't but the thing is. I don't know if I want to go!

Thanks!

Okay, so why do you have to go to that specific school that's a 6 hour flight away?
Short story: It’s a better school than the one I am in.

Long story: I’ve been in my current school for 7 years and I’ve made like a total of 10 friends, most who have left. Now, I permanently left out as the people in my school tend to talk about and do bad things. Also, a lot of them enjoy breaking rules and many have gotten multiple suspensions. And as such I am permanently feeling alone as the only person who isn’t like them and I’d consider a ‘friend’ doesn’t seem to really gel with me. She is very into comics anime etc.

And on top of that there are multiple classes where we aren’t taught what we need to know and others where we are taught but have no notes as the teacher says no need and the only reliable source of info we have is a dated textbook.

Now, the other issue is that this is meant to be the best British school in the state (I am not in the uk rn) and the only one close to isn’t much better, which I know from experience.

This particular school is a full boarding so it wouldn’t have expats and stuff. And any boarding school in the uk would be 6 hours flight away.

So yeah.

The issue for me is I am so confused as to whether to go or not.

I don’t know whether it is worth going and maybe not liking it and having to catch up on GCSE material (I’m in Year 10) or stay and basically learn everything myself, especially bio, French and history but know that for a fact I am going to feel quite alone as usual.

Alps, there isn’t anything like trying to find new friends as that isn’t the easiest thing especially considering that year 11s are like year 10s but worse.
*I meant exeats, not expats
Bump
Anyone??
Hi there. Speaking from experience here. I was at boarding school for 8 years before going to uni and my school was further away than yours. I literally cried everyday for the first two years (well, I was 8 then) but now, I can say it was the best thing I did.

Now coming to your issue, this boarding school is better than your current school and you won't be leaving behind a great circle of friends.

Some questions I have
- how often are you allowed to get in touch with your family back home?
- will there be other people starting in Jan or just you?
- are you more of an introvert?
- how often are you allowed to leave campus?
- it is co-ed or single-sex?

Some tips for you to adjust/deal with homesickness
- be busy. there will be many opportunities for you to make friends through different clubs and societies. If you play a sport or some other extra-curriculur, you can find people of similar interest
- you will also be busy with your academics since you will have to catch up.
- everyone there will be seeking company and tbh in a boarding school, when you have to live with people in a dormitory, you automatically become freinds, even with people whom you would never speak with if you were at regular day school.
- if you are allowed to leave campus, go out once in a week with friends for a change
- lastly, just know that once you go, there is no option for you but to adjust. it is do or die so just put yourself out there and you will have tons of fun. It was the best time of my life and I hope it will be the same for you :smile:

Hope I helped!
Original post by batter mix
Hi there. Speaking from experience here. I was at boarding school for 8 years before going to uni and my school was further away than yours. I literally cried everyday for the first two years (well, I was 8 then) but now, I can say it was the best thing I did.

Now coming to your issue, this boarding school is better than your current school and you won't be leaving behind a great circle of friends.

Some questions I have
- how often are you allowed to get in touch with your family back home?
- will there be other people starting in Jan or just you?
- are you more of an introvert?
- how often are you allowed to leave campus?
- it is co-ed or single-sex?

Some tips for you to adjust/deal with homesickness
- be busy. there will be many opportunities for you to make friends through different clubs and societies. If you play a sport or some other extra-curriculur, you can find people of similar interest
- you will also be busy with your academics since you will have to catch up.
- everyone there will be seeking company and tbh in a boarding school, when you have to live with people in a dormitory, you automatically become freinds, even with people whom you would never speak with if you were at regular day school.
- if you are allowed to leave campus, go out once in a week with friends for a change
- lastly, just know that once you go, there is no option for you but to adjust. it is do or die so just put yourself out there and you will have tons of fun. It was the best time of my life and I hope it will be the same for you :smile:

Hope I helped!

Well if I go, probably not going anymore as I talked to my mum and she thinks it is better for me to stay after I told her I was kinda scared and I can't tell her again that I want to go as I just keep going back and forth in my head to go or not to go.

So I think they do actually have a January intake.also it is co-ed. I don't know if you could leave campus and I am introverted but I like having people around me. I dont like concerts and stuff but I don't like being entirely alone.

But i guess there isn't much point pondering in this anymore as I'm just gonna end up staying in my current school. Learn it all on my own and probably end up wishing id gone. ( If I did go i might still end up wishing if stayed if I didn't like the school).

Oh well.
I've honestly kinda given up at this point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending