Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Personal Statement Takeover

Today we have a whole day dedicated to Personal Statements.

We'll be taking over our social media channels offering top tips for personal statement writing and answering any questions you have

You can also come in on campus and have a member of our team read over your personal statement and give you some advice on what universities will be looking for.

Don't miss out on our top tips or our Facebook Live starting at 4pm!

Twitter
Facebook
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
How I Wrote My Personal Statement

1. What and Where to Study:

Deciding what I wanted to study at university was my first hurdle. It is important to research the course content as, although many universities offer the same titled course, the course content can be completely different.

Once I had researched the universities that offered the course that I was interested in, I then visited their open days to see which course and university would better suit my preference. As each university was different, it was also useful for me to research the entry requirements to see whether I held the qualities that they were looking for and of which I could put in my personal statement.

Top Tip:Do not write any specific universities in your personal statement as this will be sent to all of your 5 choices.

2. Academic Achievements

Once I had decided what courses I wanted to apply for, I considered the relevance of my current course. I dedicated a paragraph of my personal statement focusing on how my current course provided me with the knowledge needed to progress to university level study. From balancing a number of A-Level subjects, I had definitely gained relevant skills that would complement my university choice.

Top Tip: How does your current course prepare you for university? This could be in terms of subject knowledge or skills that you have gained.

3. Work Experience

As well as the skills gained from my current studies, I had to consider what skills I had gained from work experience. For some courses, you may require particular work experience to meet the entry requirements, so it is important to consider this. Universities will not only be looking at what experience you have, but most importantly what skills you have developed and why that would benefit you as a university student. Relate all transferable skills you have gained back to the course you have chosen and explain how these skills will benefit your studies. It is important to also include any voluntary work you have done or any extracurricular activities where you have gained further transferable skills.

Top Tip: Do not lie about what experience you have, you may be asked about this if you are require to attend an interview.

4. Write a Draft

Although it may seem that you have including everything you can from the previous 3 steps, making a few drafts will help you to develop both the structure and the content further. Most schools/colleges/sixth forms will offer services to check over a draft of your personal statement and offer great advice on any room for improvement. To spot any grammatical or spelling errors, you may find it useful to read your personal statement aloud or ask a family member to read over it for you. I made more than one draft and I checked, checked and checked over it again before submission.

Top Tip: Do not upload your drafts on any social media or online platforms as this may be acknowledged on the plagiarism checkers.

5. Submission

When copy and pasting into your UCAS application, remember to check that you are within no more than 4000 characters or 47 lines. If you are over these guidelines, universities will not see your whole personal statement and may miss some of your important and relevant information.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Liverpool Hope University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Nov '19
  • Liverpool Hope University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 4 Dec '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (104)
17.84%
It's just nice to be back! (158)
27.1%
Not great so far... (210)
36.02%
I want to drop out! (111)
19.04%

Watched Threads