How do I revise for maths if I don't know anything? Watch

LouisT778
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I did **** all in year 10, and I have a pretty useless maths teacher right now, in year 11. I never bothered to learn anything, now I'm really struggling. To give you an idea, I just got 20 percent on a mock exam. Even if I do try a past paper, and spend hours figuring out how to do the things I don't know, I forget all of it the next day. Really struggling, I'm crying every time I even think about maths. I don't care what I get, I just need a 4. If anyone could help me I'd be eternally greatful. I can't stop thinking about it. Thank you.
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LouisT778)
I did **** all in year 10, and I have a pretty useless maths teacher right now, in year 11. I never bothered to learn anything, now I'm really struggling. To give you an idea, I just got 20 percent on a mock exam. Even if I do try a past paper, and spend hours figuring out how to do the things I don't know, I forget all of it the next day. Really struggling, I'm crying every time I even think about maths. I don't care what I get, I just need a 4. If anyone could help me I'd be eternally greatful. I can't stop thinking about it. Thank you.
Well we can't sit your exam for you, so the best we can do is throw some advice your way and it's up to you to use it.

- Get a revision book. Practice questions in it and whenever you struggle refer to how the book would approach that question.
- Also you can ask your teacher for help, but since you think they're useless I don't know how that's likely to happen.
- Otherwise, you can ask maths questions here on this forum and we would help you work through them.
- Finally, keep your practise with questions consistent. Do a topic for a few days until it sticks with you then move onto the other you struggle on. Aim to practice maths every day until you feel more comfortable with it. Occasionally revisit topics you haven't done in a while to see if you can still do those questions.
Y12_FurtherMaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Use examsolutions
A_D116
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you thought about getting a maths tutor?
I would suggest making keycards/flashcards with questions on them ranging from easy questions to more difficult.
Start practising questions starting with things you're more confident on but sometimes get wrong and then try tackling the hard stuff- this will help build confidence and hopefully limit frustration!!
Again, as has already been suggested, just practise practise practise because no matter how much seems to go in or doesn't it will definutely help in the exam when you're under pressure.
Finally, just breathe because you can only do so much and as long as you study a bit each day you should improve!!!!
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Here's some advice - I sat the exams last summer and got a 4

1. Use flash cards - make your own or get the boards cards on Ebay

2. Mind map each topic if you can, so you can see what it's made up of - I didn't do this but wish I had.

3. Know the basics well - time tables, basic algebra, YOU MUST KNOW ALL THE FORMULAS. Our teacher didn't teach as the area of a triangle formula and it came up in the exam.

4 Not only know the theory, but you need to know how to put it into practice

5. Know how to analyse the questions.

6. Go and find the past papers, try them, then look at the ideal answer (the AQA do this on their linked website), and see if its the same.

7. YOU MUST read the marking schemes for the past papers. It shows you what the exam board want in their answers, and give you clues on how to solve certain questions.

8. REVISE from now on. I started in last January and it was too late in day for the June exams.

9. Know the Revision guide like the back of your hand.

10. Get organised with a diary of daily to-dos, and a count down to the exam every day. Some also use calendars to help.

11 Study in quiet time with your flash cards - ie waiting for the bus, travelling in the car etc.

12 Maths isn't like other subjects to revise for, so keep going until you find what works for you.

13. YOU MUST DO PAST PAPERS every day from now on. Get a base line of where you are now and build on your knowledge.

14 Use your teacher if you can, or others doing the exam to find where your weak points are.

15 My teacher told me the following, so keep it in mind

a) You get the marks if you get the right answer with the right method.
b) You get the mark if you use the right method, but wrong answer.
c) You wont get the mark if you get the right answer but wrong method.
d) You wont get the mark if you get the wrong answer with the wrong method.

16 Don't settle for a 4, get your psychology right, reach for a 9. I was very disappointed with a 4, so hope to redo the exam in Nov 2019 (as a private student) to get a higher mark..

In the work place the two most important exams are English language and maths, as well as those specific for your chosen career, so prioritise against your other subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (4)
36.36%
I really love the subject (5)
45.45%
I don't know what else to do (2)
18.18%
I can't get a job (0)
0%
My parents want me to (0)
0%
I don't know... I just do (0)
0%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise