The Student Room Group

Will a low mark in one module damage overall degree result?

Let me clarify...

I am studying a Master's degree and I am finding one module particularly difficult. I am very confident in my other current modules and the upcoming modules I will have for the Spring semester.

I fear that I will just about scrape a PASS for this one particular module.

So, I am just worried that, if I have a low mark in module but merit/distinctions in other modules, will that module deplete my overall result and refrain me from earning my MSc?
Hi @Polemicist,

The short answer is probably not, if you are indeed earning merits and distinctions in other modules.

But it depends on what your university specify. Where I study, for instance, more importance is accorded to Individual Major Projects and dissertations than to the actual modules. So I would check with your uni to see what the module weightings are, if there are any.

Hope that helps.

Theo
Reply 2
Original post by Herts PG Student Rep
Hi @Polemicist,

The short answer is probably not, if you are indeed earning merits and distinctions in other modules.

But it depends on what your university specify. Where I study, for instance, more importance is accorded to Individual Major Projects and dissertations than to the actual modules. So I would check with your uni to see what the module weightings are, if there are any.

Hope that helps.

Theo

That does help, thank you.

I will take your advice an get in touch with the University for further advice.
Original post by Polemicist

I will take your advice an get in touch with the University for further advice.

Why? What 'advice' do you think they can say that will be meaningful? Focus on improving your weak module.

Also, you can get all the information you're looking for in your uni's academic regulations. Get googling.
Reply 4
Depends on the weight of the module and school guidelines. For example, some Universities stipulate that a MSc can only be awarded if each module has attained at least a pass. If this is not the case, a PGDip may be awarded instead but best read your Course handbook.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending