TSR_User2001
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I am planning to apply for vet school next year and I feel confident in my application. But there is always a chance something can happen and I get rejected so what other things can I do. I have looked into Vet Bioscience but not really sure on that. I have also looked at international options like Queensland Vet School and Zagreb Uni (offer English course)

If anyone has been rejected (or anyone else willing to help) please give me some advice. Thanks
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TSR_User2001)
Hi I am planning to apply for vet school next year and I feel confident in my application. But there is always a chance something can happen and I get rejected so what other things can I do. I have looked into Vet Bioscience but not really sure on that. I have also looked at international options like Queensland Vet School and Zagreb Uni (offer English course)

If anyone has been rejected (or anyone else willing to help) please give me some advice. Thanks
It depends how much you want to do vet med. If you really want to do it then take a gap year, do more work experience, re-sit exams if you don't have the grades, and then reapply is my advice.
TSR_User2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by animalmagic)
It depends how much you want to do vet med. If you really want to do it then take a gap year, do more work experience, re-sit exams if you don't have the grades, and then reapply is my advice.
Thank you that is what I'm planning but just wondering what other careers/courses I can do relating to Veterinary
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you that is what I'm planning but just wondering what other careers/courses I can do relating to Veterinary
Veterinary nursing and veterinary biosciences share the name veterinary and are "related" but the careers they lead to are very different to being a vet. If you are thinking of doing a different degree first and then veterinary medicine as a post grad then be aware that this is a very long and costly route, and grad entry vet med is actually harder to get into than the five year route so best avoided if possible.
modifiedgenes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you get rejected then spend the next year actually working in the profession. Then put that on your application.
borov.prelac
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're feeling adventurous, go for Zagreb (VFZ). All kinds of characters in the professor roster, easy to get into, but you probably won't be able to continue working as a vet in Cro; to say we're filled to the brim w/ vets is an understatement.
modifiedgenes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you get rejected, don't assume it is because of a failure on your part. You just got another year in hand to go out and get an entire 12 months of Veterinary work experience. This is good for two reasons.

1. You will be one year older next time you apply, and therefore wiser.

2. You will have far greater insight into the veterinary world than the majority of other applicants.

The veterinary world is obviously very glamorous and attracts a lot of applicants, but I must caution every single one of them that reads these words, embarking down this path this is not a minor undertaking.
TSR_User2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by borov.prelac)
If you're feeling adventurous, go for Zagreb (VFZ). All kinds of characters in the professor roster, easy to get into, but you probably won't be able to continue working as a vet in Cro; to say we're filled to the brim w/ vets is an understatement.
I looked at VFZ but they say they only take 25 students so there is probably more competition there
borov.prelac
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I looked at VFZ but they say they only take 25 students so there is probably more competition there
The quota for international students is 25, yes, but there were leftover seats in every single term so far AFAIK; I know a couple of people who are attending (not int. students tho) and have personally talked with one of the professors (god knows who, pretty sure she resigned as of now bc of age), so little to no competition.

http://www.vef.unizg.hr/jesenski-rok/

Here's last year's clearance (fall enrolment) statement; there were 3+4 seats left.

Plus, the work experience they mentioned you should bring along? Completely optional. Will boost your chances slightly, but experience is not that much of a decisive factor nor is it a must-have.
lalelilolu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Would you recommand the university of Zagreb ? I'ma a bit effraid of the quality of the teaching but it's tempting
TSR_User2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by lalelilolu)
Would you recommand the university of Zagreb ? I'ma a bit effraid of the quality of the teaching but it's tempting
I don't know about the teaching but if you want to do it, I say go for it. Do you know anyone who attends/attended Zagreb Vet School if so you can talk to them
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If its your first rejection I would probably side with reapplying to UK vet schools once more before considering further afield
Consider why you were rejected - if it was any reason other than grades then this can be rectified in the year between application cycles.
If it was grades based - can you resit? Is it feasible?

With the uncertainty of UK relations with the future I would not 100% feel secure studying abroad for potential fee increases, RCVS status in the future etc.
TSR_User2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by VMD100)
If its your first rejection I would probably side with reapplying to UK vet schools once more before considering further afield
Consider why you were rejected - if it was any reason other than grades then this can be rectified in the year between application cycles.
If it was grades based - can you resit? Is it feasible?

With the uncertainty of UK relations with the future I would not 100% feel secure studying abroad for potential fee increases, RCVS status in the future etc.
Thanks for the reply. I am still in Year 12 (first year of A-levels) so I haven't been rejected (haven't applied) but thank you
ripleyvet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
How can I tell which one is the best service among those mentioned on the list here?
Vet clinic near me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (99)
13.15%
1 (94)
12.48%
2 (94)
12.48%
19.26%
22.58%
20.05%

Watched Threads