PhD Supervisor Watch

Bradley C
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello,

I would just like to clarify something. Is it only professors that can supervise a doctorate student or can graduated doctors do this also?

Thanks.
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bradley C)
Hello,

I would just like to clarify something. Is it only professors that can supervise a doctorate student or can graduated doctors do this also?

Thanks.
There are various grades of academic, Professor, Senior Reader, Reader, Senior Lecturer, Lecturer etc. Each University will have its own rules about what experience you need to supervise a PhD and early career academics might co-supervise a few with more senior academics before being a sole Supervisor. So the answer really is, it depends on a variety of factors, but it is very far from just Professors that supervise.
Bradley C
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
There are various grades of academic, Professor, Senior Reader, Reader, Senior Lecturer, Lecturer etc. Each University will have its own rules about what experience you need to supervise a PhD and early career academics might co-supervise a few with more senior academics before being a sole Supervisor. So the answer really is, it depends on a variety of factors, but it is very far from just Professors that supervise.
Thank you for your reply. Putting this in the context of working under a doctor who works for an organisation and not a university, could this be possible. A lot of my future project ideas revolve more around specific organisations and not universities. I'm just trying to understand who exactly can supervise a PhD student, I understand that it depends on the individual case though.
chazwomaq
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In pretty much all universities in the UK the supervisor must be an academic employed by the university. They needn't be a professor. Sometimes people from external organisation can be part of a supervisory team (with or without a PhD) but they generally would not be the first supervisor as that must be someone from the university. Remember it's the university that awards the doctorate.
Bradley C
Rep:
?
(Original post by chazwomaq)
In pretty much all universities in the UK the supervisor must be an academic employed by the university. They needn't be a professor. Sometimes people from external organisation can be part of a supervisory team (with or without a PhD) but they generally would not be the first supervisor as that must be someone from the university. Remember it's the university that awards the doctorate.
Thanks for your reply. That makes a bit more sense now. Appreciate that.
Anndee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd like to add that, if you really want to work with this external doctor, there is usually a way. At least in my field (humanities), funding bodies are increasingly keen on cooperative projects where you have, for example, a supervisor at the university which will award you the degree, and an external supervisor, for example at a public body like a museum. My studentship is such a partnership and I feel like I profit enormously and it expands my career chances. While producing a PhD thesis I also get to work with a museum and apply the research I'm doing, make contacts in the wider heritage industry - and get to spend time away from my desk. So in your case, it's definitely worth reaching out and checking if you can arrange such a collaboration.
Bradley C
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anndee)
I'd like to add that, if you really want to work with this external doctor, there is usually a way. At least in my field (humanities), funding bodies are increasingly keen on cooperative projects where you have, for example, a supervisor at the university which will award you the degree, and an external supervisor, for example at a public body like a museum. My studentship is such a partnership and I feel like I profit enormously and it expands my career chances. While producing a PhD thesis I also get to work with a museum and apply the research I'm doing, make contacts in the wider heritage industry - and get to spend time away from my desk. So in your case, it's definitely worth reaching out and checking if you can arrange such a collaboration.
Thanks so much for posting! That sounds exactly what I'm looking for, I have an idea about the individuals I can work with to make this work. The doctor I am referring to belongs to a conservation organisation however I also have an idea about a professor working at a local university who would probably interested in it. If I can get a collaboration between the two then I'd be away. Good luck with your studies!
Last edited by Bradley C; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1206)
79.6%
Leave (309)
20.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise