Music BA Non Classical? Watch

Musoyami
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Does anyone know if the BA course is for classical musicians only?
EudorianLombax
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey.

I'm currently a first year on the Music BA, coming from a music technology background. The course definitely seems to be orientated at classical musicians on the website, and in some ways it is, but from my experience so far, it's not that bad.

There a lot of modules focusing on classical music (I have two mandatory modules this year on classical repertoire and a mandatory performance module :boring:), but I'd say that there are an equal amount of non-classical modules too, including studies around global music, jazz, popular music, scoring for film, music technology and more.

It's worth mentioning that you'll only have mandatory modules in year 1. You *should* get free choice of your modules in years 2 and 3, allowing you to skip any modules about classical music if you wish to. There's also the Music and Music Technology BA, which is practically the same course, just without the mandatory classical modules (although you can still choose to do them).

Also, if you're into playing non-classical music (e.g. jazz), then there are societies for that too!

The course definitely isn't just for classical musicians only. Some of the modules might be difficult to get into if you're not from a classical background (like me), but it's definitely not impossible. The lecturers are always willing to help you if you're struggling, so don't be afraid to ask them for help!

I apologise for the lengthy reply. I hope this answers you question.
Musoyami
Rep:
?
Not at all, thank you for taking the time to answer me 🙂 if there's a fair amount of non-classical learning then does that mean they'd accept musicians who don't play classical instruments? I play bass guitar and guitar. I was just worried given the website, plus even the YouTube videos are all of orchestras 😅🎵 I did email them to be sure but no replies as of yet 🎸
EudorianLombax
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Musoyami)
Not at all, thank you for taking the time to answer me 🙂 if there's a fair amount of non-classical learning then does that mean they'd accept musicians who don't play classical instruments? I play bass guitar and guitar. I was just worried given the website, plus even the YouTube videos are all of orchestras 😅🎵 I did email them to be sure but no replies as of yet 🎸
Yep! There are quite a few people who play non orchestral instruments or non at all (like me ). For the mandatory performance module, you will have to sing in the University Choir, unfortunately. I don't think they tell you that on the website. It can be a bit of a drag, but just turn up and you'll be fine. Most can't sign, so don't worry.
Musoyami
Rep:
?
Oh phew that's a relief 😅 I'm more Hendrix than Mozart so it's good to know I'll be ok 😂 I'm glad I won't be the only one who can't sing 😂 but it'll be an experience I guess! Do you enjoy the course? I basically fell in love with the University so I've my heart set on going if I can 😁
EudorianLombax
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Musoyami)
Oh phew that's a relief 😅 I'm more Hendrix than Mozart so it's good to know I'll be ok 😂 I'm glad I won't be the only one who can't sing 😂 but it'll be an experience I guess! Do you enjoy the course? I basically fell in love with the University so I've my heart set on going if I can 😁
I am enjoying the course (even the modules I thought I'd hate) and it seems like it'll only get better (and more stressful) from here. Some of the lectures are quite interesting and It's always fun to learn new stuff. The lecturers and staff are great too. It's something a lot of people say, but it does feel like a family.

If you do end up studying here, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it!
Musoyami
Rep:
?
Awesome 😁 glad to hear!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Nottingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Fri, 13 Sep '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.42%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.11%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (96)
14.93%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (193)
30.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed