The Student Room Group

Want to study maths/physics - what can I do to aid application?

I'm in year 12 at the moment and thinking I'll end up studying either maths or physics at university (or possibly a combination) since these are the subjects in really interested in, and wondering what kinds of things I can start doing/planning to do now to aid my future application.
I know I should be doing extra reading around topics, but how could I actually bring this into an application or evidence the things I've done?
What sort of courses/summer school type things would be most useful, for example I've applied to do the durham supported progression course (physics) and the oxnet course, but is it worth doing things such as headstart courses/Cambridge masterclasses?
Also, if I've gone to lectures about either subject what sorta stuff should I be noting down from them?
Attend public lectures at local unis (note down anything of interest to read more about later, shows passion about the subject and the capability to do high level research; also of course note down the basic facts so you have something to rely on if you get asked questions about the lecture), get a short-term internship at a uni/research centre

Quick Reply