The Student Room Group

What is your opinion on Seneca?

My teachers really recommend it but I don't think it's that good to be honest. Do you guys use it? What are your opinions on it?
Original post by daaudm
My teachers really recommend it but I don't think it's that good to be honest. Do you guys use it? What are your opinions on it?

I currently use it for Bio. It is really good for note taking and it goes straight to the point. 100% recommend.
I used it for English Lit, Science, and History.

I did my GCSEs this year and in those subjects I got:

English Lit - 7

Chemistry - 9

Biology - 8

Physics - 9

History - 8

It did help me, but I wouldn't recommend it for all subjects and as your only revision method (I used flashcards as well).
Original post by Goldfish4343

English Lit - 7

Chemistry - 9

Biology - 8

Physics - 9

History - 8

It did help me, but I wouldn't recommend it for all subjects and as your only revision method (I used flashcards as well).

I agree, don't use it as your only revision method

English Lit - 7

Chemistry - 9

Biology - 8

Physics - 9

History - 8

Thanks. Apart from flashcards, what else did you use? What was Seneca missing for you to choose to use it in combination with Seneca.
Original post by daaudm
Thanks. Apart from flashcards, what else did you use? What was Seneca missing for you to choose to use it in combination with Seneca.

I used flashcards for you plain facts - dates, quotes, equations, definitions whereas Senaca was for more of the more complicated stuff.

For all my subjects, I used and then got:

English Lang - Looked at a revision book for like 10 mins (wouldn't recommend) - 8

English Lit - Senaca and flashcards - 7

Biology - Seneca and flashcards - 8

Physics - Seneca and flashcards - 9

Chemistry - Seneca and flashcards - 9

Maths - Practice questions and flashcards - 9

Geography - Flashcards - 9

History - Seneca and flashcards - 8

R.S - Flashcards - 9

German - Memrise - 7
I used flashcards for you plain facts - dates, quotes, equations, definitions whereas Senaca was for more of the more complicated stuff.

For all my subjects, I used and then got:

English Lang - Looked at a revision book for like 10 mins (wouldn't recommend) - 8

English Lit - Senaca and flashcards - 7

Biology - Seneca and flashcards - 8

Physics - Seneca and flashcards - 9

Chemistry - Seneca and flashcards - 9

Maths - Practice questions and flashcards - 9

Geography - Flashcards - 9

History - Seneca and flashcards - 8

R.S - Flashcards - 9

German - Memrise - 7

Wow O:
No practice papers for science? was it that good
Reply 7
I really liked seneca! It's especially good for sciences in my opinion. I got 3 9s in my sciences revising on seneca, double checking i had everything i needed to know with the CGP textbook, and doing a few past papers. It gives you an excellent overview of everything and is pretty much comprehensive to the spec - it was definitely my main revision source for science. It's also good for going over everything the night before as a refresher as it's pretty quick to get through (not that that is necessarily the best way to revise - i found it helpful though). I used it a little for History but it is definitely too brief to use alone - revision guides were better for me, but seneca helps you understand the broader key points and remember dates. I don't recommend it for English Lit if you are aiming for the top grades - it doesn't really encourage independent thought about the text and if you use it alone you'll be going into the exam with the exact same quotes and points as everyone else who used Seneca. It might be helpful for an overview, but I personally didn't see much use in it for Lit. I used it a bit for maths too, but practice papers are much better for maths revision imo.
Think its alright but it seems a bit brief and repetitive

Quick Reply

Latest