-

What devices do you have currently?
android phone and toshiba satellite c55a1r6

Lweeze
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
ive had my current laptop at least 5 years and have only had it repaired due to water damage (about 3 ish years ago).

would like a laptop fairly similar, perhaps only a bit less bulky so easier to take to and from uni if needed

i basically just need a laptop where i can do my work and research and watch netflix, youtube videos etc etc
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
A cheap ASUS gaming laptop can be found on Amazon for ~£600 as long as you don't want an SSD or anything fancy like that. They'll only last ~4 hours on a single charge though. Reasonable for playing games, too.

I'd forego the need to play games on the laptop, though. Can speak from experience that carrying around a 3-4 kg behemoth of a laptop is literally a pain in the back, especially if you have any long commutes to University (i.e. in my case, 1,5 hours on a bus one way with multiple changes); you could switch to a lighter laptop if you did. I bought a 1,3 kg Apollo from Entroware (Linux-based, so useful for degree work and stuff) and don't regret it. Can't run a game, but it's light and fast enough for all the programming and work needs I have.
Lweeze
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by Callicious)
A cheap ASUS gaming laptop can be found on Amazon for ~£600 as long as you don't want an SSD or anything fancy like that. They'll only last ~4 hours on a single charge though. Reasonable for playing games, too.

I'd forego the need to play games on the laptop, though. Can speak from experience that carrying around a 3-4 kg behemoth of a laptop is literally a pain in the back, especially if you have any long commutes to University (i.e. in my case, 1,5 hours on a bus one way with multiple changes); you could switch to a lighter laptop if you did. I bought a 1,3 kg Apollo from Entroware (Linux-based, so useful for degree work and stuff) and don't regret it. Can't run a game, but it's light and fast enough for all the programming and work needs I have.
yeah playing games is just a bonus, ive had the sims for years and dont think ive actually played the game in the last year or so.
I just want a nice laptop which allows me to get on with my uni work tbh
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Lweeze)
yeah playing games is just a bonus, ive had the sims for years and dont think ive actually played the game in the last year or so.
I just want a nice laptop which allows me to get on with my uni work tbh
I'd recommend a Linux, then. It's basically Apple meeting Windows half way. If not that, then an Apple laptop.

As far as Windows goes, I've converted to those two OS' rather than Windows. It's just getting clunky and it feels like Microsoft is overstepping its bounds with advertisements and such.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (143)
24.49%
Pop (142)
24.32%
Jazz (26)
4.45%
Classical (32)
5.48%
Hip-Hop (103)
17.64%
Electronic (42)
7.19%
Indie (96)
16.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise