jiajane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
UCAS deadlines are drawing near & I’m torn between putting down Oxford as my 1/5 uni choices or another uni.
My GCSE’s aren’t really Oxford standard: 1A, 4Bs & 4Cs (2 of them are grade 5), which I’m not very happy about as I was lazy during my GCSE period despite being predicted straight A’s, & A*s for my sciences. However my English teacher wasn’t really helpful either due to her inaccurate marks/grades she’d give us after every mock. She had graded me a 7 throughout my mock & I had even wrote the same content in my real exam when I was shocked to see a 5 next to English Lang.
Didn’t do so well in AS, but I’ve been working extremely hard for A2 now & been getting A’s in my tests.
Do I still stand a chance? Is it worth it?
OrangeArcher
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You've missed the October 15th deadline for this year so unless you take a gap year after completing your A-levels, and then apply to Oxford, it would be a wasted application this year as you would get instantly rejected for applying after the deadline.
jiajane
Rep:
?
(Original post by OrangeArcher)
You've missed the October 15th deadline for this year so unless you take a gap year after completing your A-levels, and then apply to Oxford, it would be a wasted application this year as you would get instantly rejected for applying after the deadline.
Thought it was Jan 15 oh my god how stupid of me 😑. If I do take a gap year what are the chances they’ll accept? What do I need to do other than good A2 grades for them to consider me?
hd...
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by jiajane)
UCAS deadlines are drawing near & I’m torn between putting down Oxford as my 1/5 uni choices or another uni.
My GCSE’s aren’t really Oxford standard: 1A, 4Bs & 4Cs (2 of them are grade 5), which I’m not very happy about as I was lazy during my GCSE period despite being predicted straight A’s, & A*s for my sciences. However my English teacher wasn’t really helpful either due to her inaccurate marks/grades she’d give us after every mock. She had graded me a 7 throughout my mock & I had even wrote the same content in my real exam when I was shocked to see a 5 next to English Lang.
Didn’t do so well in AS, but I’ve been working extremely hard for A2 now & been getting A’s in my tests.
Everything is bad now cancel yourself
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Thought it was Jan 15 oh my god how stupid of me 😑. If I do take a gap year what are the chances they’ll accept? What do I need to do other than good A2 grades for them to consider me?
For Oxbridge/medicine/veterinary medicine/dentistry the deadline in October the 15th and for other courses/unis the deadline is January the 15th. You need to show a passion for your subject by doing extra reading, attending lectures/masterclasses, doing work experience (if relevant to your course e.g. Attending vet practices and animal husbandry placements vet med - Cambridge don't have a minimum for vet med) and make sure you do relevant academic work in your gap year as I've heard Oxbridge like students that take gap years to retain academic knowledge from A-levels. I can't really tell you want your chance of getting in would be as it depends on your subject and how well you do in any admissions assessments (and written work dependent on subject), your interview, your grades, your PS etc. Hope this helped.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Not this year, and not if you call it that

Which subject? As has been said, the deadline was the 15th October, and there are potentially admissions tests to take / written work to submit. You need to have the entry requirements (including predicted grades), do well enough in the admissions test(s) to get an interview, do well enough in that to get an offer, then meet the offer.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 10 months ago
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
For which course? But why do you especially want to go to Oxford?
OrangeArcher
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
I was thinking I should have tagged you in this thread
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
My GCSE’s aren’t really Oxford standard: 1A, 4Bs & 4Cs... Didn’t do so well in AS
It seems unlikely. Oxbridge will discount most candidates with anything less than virtually all A*/A at GCSE. They take AS results into consideration, anyone without straight As at AS will likely be rejected.

If you can get a contextual offer, you may have a chance. This is if your school has Ofsted category of 'inadequate', or perhaps have been living in a single parent family on the poverty line.

But otherwise, you do not stand a chance I'm afraid.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by DarthRoar)

Not correct. Given they have missed this year's deadline and the only option will be applying in a gap year with A-levels achieved - a lot depends on those grades (and the admissions tests, etc). Likely much more so than GCSEs, depending on the course they are interested in.
Last edited by Doones; 10 months ago
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The fact that you didn't know this implies you don't go to that great a school - do you know its 5A*-C rating? If its low that will be beneficial to you.

But yes if you wanted to try for Oxford now you'd have to take a gap year. That's a lot to do for just a chance, possibly not a great chance, given your prior attainment, at one uni, so I'd make sure you actually actively want to take a gap year anyway, or perhaps look at some of the other great UK unis you can apply to.

In the meantime, obviously getting the best grades possible (AAA or A*AA) for Oxford would be mandatory.
jiajane
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Not this year, and not if you call it that

Which subject? As has been said, the deadline was the 15th October, and there are potentially admissions tests to take / written work to submit. You need to have the entry requirements (including predicted grades), do well enough in the admissions test(s) to get an interview, do well enough in that to get an offer, then meet the offer.
Experimental Psychology
jiajane
Rep:
?
Experimental Psychology. Main reason being that it's very close to home so it would be easier for me to commute, and I'd be saving money as I don't really work. It's so close to my home that it would be a shame to miss such a great opportunity despite that small chance I clearly have based on all of the answers. I'm a very ambitious person and I just feel like I might make it if I put in all of the effort this time.
username4217900
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Experimental Psychology. Main reason being that it's very close to home so it would be easier for me to commute, and I'd be saving money as I don't really work. It's so close to my home that it would be a shame to miss such a great opportunity despite that small chance I clearly have based on all of the answers. I'm a very ambitious person and I just feel like I might make it if I put in all of the effort this time.
There is oxford Brookes too
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You live close to Oxford and yet your school didn't warn you about the Oxbridge/Medicine deadline?

Also afaik you are normally expected to live in college at Oxford, especially as an undergraduate. (Just tagging nexttime to confirm if this is indeed the case, as it certainly is for Cambridge.)

That said, the cost of living at an Oxford college is relatively low due in large part to the short terms. Also Oxford has a pretty generous bursary scheme for students with low household incomes.
jiajane
Rep:
?
(Original post by DarthRoar)
It seems unlikely. Oxbridge will discount most candidates with anything less than virtually all A*/A at GCSE. They take AS results into consideration, anyone without straight As at AS will likely be rejected.

If you can get a contextual offer, you may have a chance. This is if your school has Ofsted category of 'inadequate', or perhaps have been living in a single parent family on the poverty line.

For the contextual offer how do I go about receiving one because that point you made about the Ofsted report I can relate to. The school I had went to had a history of 'inadequate' written on their reports, and a very bad rep. I'm just upset that despite my circumstances, I could've tried harder, however with sufficient teacher support I know that it could've motivated me to do well in my GCSEs.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
For the contextual offer how do I go about receiving one because that point you made about the Ofsted report I can relate to. The school I had went to had a history of 'inadequate' written on their reports, and a very bad rep. I'm just upset that despite my circumstances, I could've tried harder, however with sufficient teacher support I know that it could've motivated me to do well in my GCSEs.
Oxford takes your academic context into account but doesn't have "contextual offers" (ie. reduced offers).
More info here: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...al-data?wssl=1

Actually one thought occurs to me - you haven't missed the deadline for the Foundation Year at Lady Margaret Hall. It's an Oxford college that offers students from disadvantaged academic or social background a fully-funded (i.e. free) year including accommodation as preparation for Oxford or other universities.

http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective-...oundation-year

They require ABB for Psychology
http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective-...ation-year-0-4

You apply direct to LMH, not via UCAS - so it doesn't take up one of your UCAS choices.
http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective-...ents/apply-now
Last edited by Doones; 10 months ago
jiajane
Rep:
?
Oxford takes your academic context into account but doesn't have "contextual offers" (ie. reduced offers).
More info here: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...al-data?wssl=1

Actually one thought occurs to me - you haven't missed the deadline for the Foundation Year at Lady Margaret Hall. It's an Oxford college that offers students from disadvantaged academic or social background a fully-funded (i.e. free) year including accommodation as preparation for Oxford or other universities.

http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective-...oundation-year

They require ABB for Psychology
http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective-...ation-year-0-4

You apply direct to LMH, not via UCAS - so it doesn't take up one of your UCAS choices.
http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective-...ents/apply-now
Thank you for this, really appreciate your help.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Also afaik you are normally expected to live in college at Oxford, especially as an undergraduate. (Just tagging nexttime to confirm if this is indeed the case, as it certainly is for Cambridge.)
In first year yes, although I do know an exception (mature married student).

In subsequent years you don't have to live in college but you do have to live within 25 miles of Carfax Tower in the centre of Oxford. Again, there can be exceptions.

Given the low cost of college living, the expensive cost of commuting, and the loss of a huge part of the university experience, I definitely wouldn't recommend living at home though. If you have low household income you definitely will be able to afford it.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by nexttime)
In first year yes, although I do know an exception (mature married student).

In subsequent years you don't have to live in college but you do have to live within 25 miles of Carfax Tower in the centre of Oxford. Again, there can be exceptions.
Thanks, Cambridge is within 3 miles of the Church of Great St Mary for all undergrads, although again there can be exceptional circumstances. Grads get 10 miles.

https://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac...de-universitys

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (114)
17.73%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.53%
Not great so far... (229)
35.61%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.13%

Watched Threads