The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Student accommodation

Hi, I am currently in my first year of university. I've just fell pregnant and because of the stress I am under I am advised to leave university, and to return home to rest and prepare for the babies arrival.
However I'm in a sticky situation, I am tied into a 10 month contract with my university accommodation. I can't in no way afford to Continue paying when I leave university and my student fiance stops.
Does anyone know of any special circumstances with accommodation? The doctor has said I have to leave, and I can't leave uni and continue to stay in my housing there. I need to be back home with my mum.
I've tried emailing them, explaining the situation, so has my university but we've had no reply. I also have a doctors note to, to back up my health.
Help???!!
What type of accommodation is it? Uni owned, private halls, private landlord etc.

If it’s uni owned they might be willing to make an exception for your circumstances.

Unfortunately private companies/landlords/letting agents are not likely to be so helpful as you’ve signed a contract. And I’d presume your parents are acting as a guarantor in case you’re unable to pay (?) as is usually the case for students. Legally, having a health note saying you’re pregnant and need to leave the uni has no bearing on a separate accommodation contract.

However, you might convince them to terminate your contract early if you can find a replacement tenant. Or if they could rent to a semester 2 exchange student for example.

It really depends who your contract is with and what the terms of it are. Good luck!
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Original post by kristenw123
hi, i am currently in my first year of university. I've just fell pregnant and because of the stress i am under i am advised to leave university, and to return home to rest and prepare for the babies arrival.
However i'm in a sticky situation, i am tied into a 10 month contract with my university accommodation. I can't in no way afford to continue paying when i leave university and my student fiance stops.
Does anyone know of any special circumstances with accommodation? The doctor has said i have to leave, and i can't leave uni and continue to stay in my housing there. I need to be back home with my mum.
I've tried emailing them, explaining the situation, so has my university but we've had no reply. I also have a doctors note to, to back up my health.
Help???!!

omg are you ok? After your fall

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending