The Student Room Group

Want to go to uni but everyone's putting me off based on the financial side

Currently I am working on my UCAS application for September 2019. I've made the decision that I do not want to study in London based on the fact I want to get out there and experience living in a new area. My family however and trying to turn me off the idea of university as they keep asking me practically how am I going to afford to live. I want to stand my ground but coming from a family of opinionated people, It is quite hard sometimes. Is there anyone who has faced a situation like this and could give me some insight into how they coped when they first settled into uni. ????
Original post by SarahKelly2000
Currently I am working on my UCAS application for September 2019. I've made the decision that I do not want to study in London based on the fact I want to get out there and experience living in a new area. My family however and trying to turn me off the idea of university as they keep asking me practically how am I going to afford to live. I want to stand my ground but coming from a family of opinionated people, It is quite hard sometimes. Is there anyone who has faced a situation like this and could give me some insight into how they coped when they first settled into uni. ????

You can apply through UCAS and change your mind at any point.

You can apply for finance in March/April next year, find out what loan you would receive and then start trying to put together a budget.

If it isn’t affordable this year you can always defer your place, work for a year and save up and start university after that gap year.

With opinionated family arguments aren’t going to convince them. Keep your options open, make plans and SHOW them that you have worked out the details and your backup plans
Original post by SarahKelly2000

Hi,

In terms of Student Finance, as mentioned we expect our applications will be released in Spring 2019; I would recommend to apply early, as you will then get an assessment and Notification of Entitlement in good time before the start of the academic year.

Once your application is approved, you can still cancel this at any point as long as we haven’t released any payments (which wouldn’t happen without a confirmation of attendance and registration from your university).

This allows you to get a figure for what you can receive for the academic year from Student Finance England to make any budgets and plans, but also freedom to cancel if you decide not to attend university next year. This won’t have any impact on any future applications either, just keep a note of your Customer Reference Number as you’ll need this if you do come to reapply.

Thanks, Rebecca.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending