The Student Room Group

Feeling Hopeless and Angry

I received an interview invitation for the University of Cambridge, but I most probably can't go. No matter how much I want it, it's expensive to fly there.
The invitation came on such a short notice, it's impossible to raise money by then, and my parents can't take a loan because we're already in debt.
My dad said that it would not be worth going more into debt if they reject me or I can't get a scholarship.
And I can't do anything to help with the situation.

I know some say that going into Cambridge should be considered a luxury and not a right, but I worked very hard to get a chance like this. I even finished my A-levels syllabus on my own. I feel more and more depressed and anxious as the day gets closer to the interview date.

If at the end, all that matters is how rich I am and where I'm born, I don't see why I should work so hard. I'm envious of my European friends who get free education. Some universities even pay them to study.
They say they hate it even though they're studying the course I like. All I can say is, "If you hate it so much, then give it to me!"

I always felt bad, but this Cambridge incident was the last straw.
I feel so stupid and betrayed. I can't even look at my friends anymore, knowing they're getting free education and scholarships. While I can't because I'm an international student.
Call up Cambridge and explain the situation. In some cases, universities do expense your travel costs on their behalf.
Call Cambridge and explain your situation in detail as LostAccount said! They might pay for your expense since you've already gotten the interview or they could arrange something for you! Make sure you call!!

Quick Reply

Latest