Sch55
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I really want a career in business in the future and I have always been set on going to uni. However over the past few months now I’ve been thinking of doing an apprenticeship because I’m gaining experience, getting paid etc. Recently, people I know have been on about doing an art foundation year and going into an apprenticeship/work after that, so would doing a business foundation year and then getting an apprenticeship be more useful? I’ve studied business at gcse and I am currently studying it at a level so it won’t be a whole new course to me
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I'm going to tag in National Careers Service as they are super helpful and might have some good advice about this :yay:
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sch55)
I really want a career in business in the future and I have always been set on going to uni. However over the past few months now I’ve been thinking of doing an apprenticeship because I’m gaining experience, getting paid etc. Recently, people I know have been on about doing an art foundation year and going into an apprenticeship/work after that, so would doing a business foundation year and then getting an apprenticeship be more useful? I’ve studied business at gcse and I am currently studying it at a level so it won’t be a whole new course to me
Hi there,

Hopefully I can help.

With apprenticeships now being available at levels 4, 5 and 6 - going from a foundation degree at uni to a degree level apprenticeship is certainly possible.

What you need to keep in mind is that level 6 apprenticeships are not as readily available as business degree courses and are highly competitive. Foundation degree is level 5, your only progression route via an apprenticeship which would qualify for funding would be the full degree at level 6.

Alternatively, you could go from A-level to higher apprenticeships at level 4 and work your way up from there with the same employer which is something a lot of apprentices do! A lot of apprentices actually start at level 3 even after completing their A-levels so that they can get their foot in the door with an organisation and work their way up through the levels.

To help you get a better picture of how many business apprenticeships there are now and the types of employers there are wherey you live you may find the Find An Apprenticeship website a useful place to start. You can register on there for free and set up text alerts for new vacancies so when the time comes to start applying you are ready to go - https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship

More than happy to answer any further questions you may have and I hope this helps.

Thanks - Sophie.
Xdscore
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
National Careers Service
Hello,
I am from Eastern Europe and I am going to study in the UK this september focusing on Film and media production. The thing is, now that I have discovered apprenticeships I start to doubt my University choice because I want to secure a workplace in the industry. Is it possible to do a foundanion year (or year 0 as it's called by the uni) and then proceed to apply for a higher apprenticeship? I have read that a foundation year is equivalent to an advanced apprenticeship or am I wrong?
Thank you in advance!
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Xdscore)
National Careers Service
Hello,
I am from Eastern Europe and I am going to study in the UK this september focusing on Film and media production. The thing is, now that I have discovered apprenticeships I start to doubt my University choice because I want to secure a workplace in the industry. Is it possible to do a foundanion year (or year 0 as it's called by the uni) and then proceed to apply for a higher apprenticeship? I have read that a foundation year is equivalent to an advanced apprenticeship or am I wrong?
Thank you in advance!
Hi there,

Thanks for your question - sorry for the slight delay in getting back to you.

Whilst you may be able to progress onto an apprenticeship after completing a foundation year at uni, the eligibility for apprenticeships is that you need to have lived in UK or a European Economic Area for at least 3 years in order to qualify for the funding.

I would advise calling the apprenticeship support helpline on 08000 150 600 to talk this through with an adviser so you can find out more about whether or not this would be a possibility for you.

I hope this helps - Sophie.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (31)
19.02%
I'm not sure (3)
1.84%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (53)
32.52%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.84%
I'm not a current university student (73)
44.79%

Watched Threads