The Student Room Group

plz help

Whats an A level?Plz explain how school works in England. All I know is 6th form from the Inbetweeners.I'm from America btw. Found this while looking for a new TV show to watch
Original post by HealthInsurance
Whats an A level?Plz explain how school works in England. All I know is 6th form from the Inbetweeners.I'm from America btw. Found this while looking for a new TV show to watch

Secondary school starts at age 10/11.

You attend that until you start doing exams in what is known as years 10 and 11. You would be aged 15/16 then.
At this stage you sit GCSE exams varies between about 5-10 of them and you get grades from 1-9. A 4 is a pass, 6 a good pass, a 7+ is a very good pass.
Maths and English tend to be mandatory, then unis may state a min number of GCSE in total 4,5,6,8. They are interested in grades.
You normally need a 5 or 6 to be allowed to progress with that subject.

GCSE are ranked as level 2 exams.

You must stay in education or training until 18.
The next stage is A levels which are level 3 exams. Oher students may take the international baccalaureate or BTEC, but they are all level 3 exams.
In some cases there is a 1 year Access course which serves the same purpose.
Students sit these exam at the end of year 13 , normally aged 17/18.
In year 13 they will get predicted grades and use those to apply to university via the UCAS admin system.
Grades range from E to A*. For the better unis you need to be in the A*, A and B range.
You pick 5 unis on courses you would like to take and they assess your application and make an offer.
You can also visit unis on open days to help you make your choice.
You accept one firm and an insurance.
You sit the exams for the whole 2 years work in April to June and receive grade results in August.
If you get your offer grades you et on your course and sometimes if you are slightly below.
If you failed to get the grades you can use clearing where other unis still have places and maybe lower entrance requirements.
You also apply for student finance.
You start uni in Sept/ Oct.

Something like that.
Original post by 999tigger
Secondary school starts at age 10/11.

You attend that until you start doing exams in what is known as years 10 and 11. You would be aged 15/16 then.
At this stage you sit GCSE exams varies between about 5-10 of them and you get grades from 1-9. A 4 is a pass, 6 a good pass, a 7+ is a very good pass.
Maths and English tend to be mandatory, then unis may state a min number of GCSE in total 4,5,6,8. They are interested in grades.
You normally need a 5 or 6 to be allowed to progress with that subject.

GCSE are ranked as level 2 exams.

You must stay in education or training until 18.
The next stage is A levels which are level 3 exams. Oher students may take the international baccalaureate or BTEC, but they are all level 3 exams.
In some cases there is a 1 year Access course which serves the same purpose.
Students sit these exam at the end of year 13 , normally aged 17/18.
In year 13 they will get predicted grades and use those to apply to university via the UCAS admin system.
Grades range from E to A*. For the better unis you need to be in the A*, A and B range.
You pick 5 unis on courses you would like to take and they assess your application and make an offer.
You can also visit unis on open days to help you make your choice.
You accept one firm and an insurance.
You sit the exams for the whole 2 years work in April to June and receive grade results in August.
If you get your offer grades you et on your course and sometimes if you are slightly below.
If you failed to get the grades you can use clearing where other unis still have places and maybe lower entrance requirements.
You also apply for student finance.
You start uni in Sept/ Oct.

Something like that.

Thanks for that. I am now enlightened.

Quick Reply

Latest