The Student Room Group

peronsal statement

Thank you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by eday3
Hi,
I am currently writing my personal statement and I am struggling. I am applying for biomedical science and I am wonder how to write about my mum having cancer. I am not sure what exactly to write so I can elate it to the course I have chosen.

Thank you.

I hope your mum is on the road to recovery. From what you have said here it comes across that you don't see a link and you are trying to squeeze your mothers serious health problems into your university application. I'm sure you didn't intend that but If your mums problems didn't inspire an interest in biomed then there's no reason to mention it. If her diagnosis encouraged you to research and understand more about cancer and its treatment that has lead to a desire to study biomed and in the future contribute to research that improves understanding and treatment of disease then that could explain part of your initial inspiration to choose to study it.
Original post by eday3
Hi,
I am currently writing my personal statement and I am struggling. I am applying for biomedical science and I am wonder how to write about my mum having cancer. I am not sure what exactly to write so I can elate it to the course I have chosen.

Thank you.

Good advice above. Just to add that if you do decide to add it keep it short, to the point and professional.
Original post by alleycat393
Good advice above. Just to add that if you do decide to add it keep it short, to the point and professional.

That's right. your mother's situation can only be your MOTIVATION (no more than a small intro in the beginning) and not the REASON for you wanting to study biomed.
Original post by batter mix
That's right. your mother's situation can only be your MOTIVATION (no more than a small intro in the beginning) and not the REASON for you wanting to study biomed.

You may want to quote the OP rather than me as I didn't ask the question :smile:
Original post by alleycat393
You may want to quote the OP rather than me as I didn't ask the question :smile:

I was in a hurry and didn't realize i replied you hhaha. Thanks for letting me know! OP is probably gonna read all this anyway lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending