The Student Room Group

Computer Science at Manchester or Southampton (for AI)?

Hello,

I am currently deciding what uni's I should apply for and I could use some help choosing between Manchester or Southampton integrated masters course. I am especially interested in the fields of AI and data science. I am aware those interests may change over time, but, regardless of that, which uni is better for Artificial Intelligence, what uni is better in general for the course and for the student life as well?

Also, which uni do you think has better graduate prospects and ties to the industry (in tech)?

I've been doing some research and these are some of the facts/opinions that might help you help me (:P):
- Location wise (in the context of the UK) Manchester wins hands down as it is more centered and I have good friends in Leeds and Birmingham and would like to be closer to them
- City wise I think both are quite nice, but perhaps Manchester has more things
- Price wise Manchester is quite cheaper, which as an international student from a poorer country It's appreciated (still I could manage the expenses in Southampton)
- Both unis seem to have good societies and student satisfaction, but Southampton might barely edge out in that aspect
- Manchester is higher ranked, but seems to be lower on graduate prospects (which I don't quite get)
- Module wise, I do prefer Southampton as it doesn't force business and economy modules and seems to have similar diversity

I am very undecided and stressed about this decision, as it is quite important. This wouldn't be the final uni choice, I have also picked Warwick and St Andrews, but I think Southampton and Manchester are quite similarly positioned and would like to cut one of the two right now.

Thanks in advance for any help and insight you might offer.
Reply 1
So which one are you joining finally? I would like to know as I have received offers from both of these.
Reply 2
Hey, I ended up not applying to Manchester just because the course forced a lot of business related modules, which obviously have their value, but it wasn't really what I wanted.
Reply 3
Original post by Jafonso
Hey, I ended up not applying to Manchester just because the course forced a lot of business related modules, which obviously have their value, but it wasn't really what I wanted.

How did you like the course? Were the modules and professors to your satisfaction? Any info that you would like to provide?
Reply 4
Original post by nchaz
How did you like the course? Were the modules and professors to your satisfaction? Any info that you would like to provide?

Ended up pulling an 180, I am studying at TU Delft (Netherlands), sorry I can't be of help. In case you're curious I really like it here. And if I may be of help, I don't think that choice you're taking now is all that important. If you already know the course you're taking, whether you're taking it at X or Y will be the same, they're both good options, you can loose weeks of your time pondering pros and cons in hopes of achieving a subject answer, or you can choose the one you're personally leaning more towards and probably achieve the same subject answer. Which city appeals to you the best? Something like that sounded like a retarded question to put, but really, all other questions are equally as subjective.
Reply 5
Original post by Jafonso
Ended up pulling an 180, I am studying at TU Delft (Netherlands), sorry I can't be of help. In case you're curious I really like it here. And if I may be of help, I don't think that choice you're taking now is all that important. If you already know the course you're taking, whether you're taking it at X or Y will be the same, they're both good options, you can loose weeks of your time pondering pros and cons in hopes of achieving a subject answer, or you can choose the one you're personally leaning more towards and probably achieve the same subject answer. Which city appeals to you the best? Something like that sounded like a retarded question to put, but really, all other questions are equally as subjective.

A very good choice indeed! Your way of thinking was how I approached the issue initially. Now I have a few offers and it's quite hard to come to a final decision.
If I may ask what made you change your mind from a 1 year MSc to a 2-year? Was it mainly the uni?
Reply 6
Original post by nchaz
A very good choice indeed! Your way of thinking was how I approached the issue initially. Now I have a few offers and it's quite hard to come to a final decision.
If I may ask what made you change your mind from a 1 year MSc to a 2-year? Was it mainly the uni?

Hmm we could say it was mainly the uni yeah. I got an offer from Southampton and some others that I don't exactly remember in the end, but Southampton was my N1 from the ones that got back to me, but from what I had heard from TU Delft everyone was friendly, teachers included, the course was better in the rankings, the uni way better in the rankings and overall the country and city are more to my liking that any I would find in the UK. I'm a bit of a time freak, of liking to do everything as efficiently as possible, saving as much time as possible, but with all those previously announced reasons to take TU Delft over Southampton I went for it.
Plus, a really big thing for me that made me shy away from the integrated MSc is that I wanted to have the option to change unis for the master, because I would have tried to upgrade probably.
Best of luck with your decision though, at that time it was weighing me a ton, but really I think with any of those options you will be good!
Reply 7
Original post by Jafonso
Hmm we could say it was mainly the uni yeah. I got an offer from Southampton and some others that I don't exactly remember in the end, but Southampton was my N1 from the ones that got back to me, but from what I had heard from TU Delft everyone was friendly, teachers included, the course was better in the rankings, the uni way better in the rankings and overall the country and city are more to my liking that any I would find in the UK. I'm a bit of a time freak, of liking to do everything as efficiently as possible, saving as much time as possible, but with all those previously announced reasons to take TU Delft over Southampton I went for it.
Plus, a really big thing for me that made me shy away from the integrated MSc is that I wanted to have the option to change unis for the master, because I would have tried to upgrade probably.
Best of luck with your decision though, at that time it was weighing me a ton, but really I think with any of those options you will be good!

Great, thank you for your replies! All the best to you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending