The Student Room Group

*Language paper 1 Question 5: can you estimate how many marks Iwill get?*

Hello and thank you for your time. I have just done my November mock for English Language; which was the AQA 2018 paper, I have done quite well, I felt as though I've done well in the reading section, however my fallibility of a poor time management resulted in me having only 25 minutes to the question 5. I spent about 7 minutes on the plan, where I decided to come up with the context of my description.
I decided that the subtle plot of my description piece would be that I would be describing the "old man" through 2nd person narrative,where I'd be his grandson. However I made clear of the fact that he's my grandpa without telling my reader. Unfortunately, whilst coming up with this somewhat of a sophisticated concept; I totally forgot about punctuation,so I'm pretty sure the punctuation I used was just comma and full.
My writing took me about one and a half page, which meant I lacked content as well.
However, there were some ambitious vocabularies and I've went on with some complex metaphors containing sensory description ( the five senses), I've also put up a cyclical structure in the end (which was zooming into the frame of Grandfather and then ending with zooming out of a flashback and then ending with a description of the frame again), however I was not able to include a motif due to the lack of content, which forced me to end abruptly.
Furthermore, I managed to put a flashback which fitted quite nicely with my writing, as the plot was: a grandson looking at a framed portrait of his Grandfather, which allowed me to fit a flashback of the grandson going on a trip with his grandfather.

Considering all these vague detail of my description, can you please estimate how many marks I'd get?
With that over, I was quite successful in the reading section. I'm estimating I'd get at least more than 30 or 30 atleast. I was hoping for a 7, but after flopping question 5 I'd be happy with a 6.

Quick Reply

Latest