kurllly
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all,
I thought I’d start a new discussion for those planning to audition for NYT in 2019! I’ve signed up for Newcastle, and it’ll be my first time auditioning for NYT or any acting programme. I’m feeling a little clueless about what’ll happen on the day, or what’s expected of you when you have the one-to-one audition. Any thoughts/advice/stories of previous experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Also, has anyone decided one their monologue or have an idea for what they’d like to do?
poppyyy1209
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I honestly have no idea what I’m doing for my monologue, I’m thinking about auditioning I’m only 16. There’s a slim chance but if you do succeed then what do you get being 16 years old ? I’m from up north so do I have to go to London for a course or something? I’m slightly confused
kurllly
Rep:
?
(Original post by poppyyy1209)
I honestly have no idea what I’m doing for my monologue, I’m thinking about auditioning I’m only 16. There’s a slim chance but if you do succeed then what do you get being 16 years old ? I’m from up north so do I have to go to London for a course or something? I’m slightly confused
Hi! Glad to hear that you’re thinking about auditioning! If you’re unsure about which monologue to choose then borrow from your local library or purchase ‘The National Connections Monolgues’ book. It’s a great resource to help you start looking for which plays have monologues for young performers (I’ll attach a link below).

In terms of the course itself, with you being 16, I believe you’d be on the Junior Acting Course, which is for 14-17 year olds. They hold auditions across the country, but the course will be located in London (they offer accommodation).

Don’t be disheartened by your age or chances! If you want to audition - do it! It’ll be a great learning experience, and afterwards you can decide whether or not they’re for you and if you want to audition next year! You’re interviewing them as much as they are you! Just be yourself!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/National-Th...334A4Z66NBEPC7
poppyyy1209
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you so much! This was really helpful, I will definetly look at that book you suggested. Do you have any idea on how long the course ? As I don’t live near London.
poppyyy1209
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kurllly)Hi! Glad to hear that you’re thinking about auditioning! If you’re unsure about which monologue to choose then borrow from your local library or purchase ‘The National Connections Monolgues’ book. It’s a great resource to help you start looking for which plays have monologues for young performers (I’ll attach a link below).

In terms of the course itself, with you being 16, I believe you’d be on the Junior Acting Course, which is for 14-17 year olds. They hold auditions across the country, but the course will be located in London (they offer accommodation).

Don’t be disheartened by your age or chances! If you want to audition - do it! It’ll be a great learning experience, and afterwards you can decide whether or not they’re for you and if you want to audition next year! You’re interviewing them as much as they are you! Just be yourself!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/National-Theatre-Connections-Monologues-Anthologies/dp/1472573102/ref=pd_aw_fbt_14_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1472573102&pd_rd_r=d3181e7f-1e54-11e9-bedb-314aa3a9e6e6&pd_rd_w=N9ciM&pd_rd_wg=3tbc0&pf_rd_p=a4c7899b-c956-454d-a7a4-9ed0c7e0eb80&pf_rd_r=5A3TYF334A4Z66NBEPC7&psc=1&refRID=5A3TYF334A4Z66NBEPC7

Thank you so much! This was really helpful, I will definetly look at that book you suggested. Do you have any idea on how long the course ? As I don’t live near London. Thanks.
kurllly
Rep:
?
The Junior course runs for two weeks, but depending on which course you do it could be three.
BrDy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey,
I'm trying out for backstage, is anyone else? If so are you doing a portfolio and what kind of things are you putting in it?
thelyphron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does anyone have experience with the workshop auditions/know what's involved?
BrDy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've just done my backstage interview fingers crossed I get in now
Feel free to ask any questions about the workshop etc
sophiebeckman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What did you have to as part of the workshop and interview?
BrDy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So the workshop (for backstage) started with getting to know you/ice breaker games, Then we did a bit of practice interviews in groups of 3 with certain questions
The last bit after a break was more to do with backstage theatre, so we were given a picture and had to talk about technical aspects relating to what department we were applying for (or others), e.g. LED lights so colours, but what should be done as backup e.g. gel colours
Then we were given a synopsis of Macbeth and had to say how we would stage it if we had to do a production and all the technical aspects of that, so lighting, sound, costume, scene and then like health and safety and stuff
Interview was pretty chill, they asked what I wanted to do after school, what subjects I was doing, things I do in my free time that aren't theatre related, how you work in a team and then any experience I had and why I wanted to apply to NYT/what I wanted to get out of it
Probably a lot of this overlapped with acting interviews, but who knows. Hope this helped
Francescarevell
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m about to audition next month and since you auditioned last year I was wondering whether you had any advice ir tips about monologues and or the audition in general. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads