The Student Room Group

Cambridge Computer Science Interview

Hello,

I am currently studying Computer Science, Physics, Maths and Further Maths at a level, and have been invited for an interview.

I was wondering what type of questions they would ask for Computer Science, would it be more computer science based or more maths based? I understand that, since I am doing Computer Science for a level, they may expect prior knowledge of the topics I wrote in my SAQ, but beyond that, will they ask me to write pseudocode and stuff?
Or is it more maths based, like plotting graphs, problem solving questions.
Also, would they perhaps ask anything about my physics a level? The only way in which I see this relating to comp sci is through circuits.

Thanks,
Original post by Martin2343
Hello,

I am currently studying Computer Science, Physics, Maths and Further Maths at a level, and have been invited for an interview.

I was wondering what type of questions they would ask for Computer Science, would it be more computer science based or more maths based? I understand that, since I am doing Computer Science for a level, they may expect prior knowledge of the topics I wrote in my SAQ, but beyond that, will they ask me to write pseudocode and stuff?
Or is it more maths based, like plotting graphs, problem solving questions.
Also, would they perhaps ask anything about my physics a level? The only way in which I see this relating to comp sci is through circuits.

Thanks,

It depends on the college. Probably you will get some maths questions (based on A-level content, the same kind of thing you'd get for engineering or physics). Beyond that there will be a lot of variability. You could get CS questions, they would probably be theoretical (for instance running time of algorithms, or finite state automata) rather than involving writing (pseudo)code. You could get general "logical thinking" questions, the Oxf*rd CS department website has some examples of those. Or you could get just maths, "soft" questions about your personal statement etc., physics questions (even if you didn't apply for the physics option), or something else entirely. I think the main things you should focus on preparing for are maths, locial thinking, and anything you wrote in your personal statement or SAQ.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending