The Student Room Group

Too late to switch A-Level Subjects? year 12

Ngl, i kind of wanna drop economics and do biology A- Level instead, I always had in mind of becoming a doctor but i didnt realise how much of a disadvantage not doing biology would put me in, like i can't apply to king's, St Georges, UCL or Imperial which are all in the top 10 medical schools. Kind of hating economics rn anyway, idk.

Do you think it is too late to switch A- Level Subjects?

Or do you think that just doing chemistry and maths is enough for medicine?
Reply 1
bump
it probably is too late now as there will be a lot of catching up to do and you will need an A I suspect. You could restart year 12 next year with the right subjects. Yoor best bet is to discuss it with your school tomorrow.
Discuss this with your school as soon as possible. By December I think we had already covered a big bit of the spec (if I remember rightly from last year) I think it would be possible but you’d be at a major disadvantage to others for the first like term as you’d have to lean new stuff whilst catching up on the old stuff. It would mean putting in so much more time for biology, possibly staying after school etc... but then you’d have to make sure that you don’t fall behind on chem or maths too.
Not too late yet, if you really put the work in then you can surely catch up - use some of your holiday if you can. I switched A levels to English literature last year around this time and i'm doing alright; however, I acknowledge a content heavy subject like biology might be more difficult to catch up on. Speak to your school's biology department and the students in that class, see what you've missed out on.
Reply 5
Tbh if you want to do medicine-it really shouldn’t matter to you which uni u go to cuz ull be doing medicine anywhere you go :smile:
Original post by hl1479
Tbh if you want to do medicine-it really shouldn’t matter to you which uni u go to cuz ull be doing medicine anywhere you go :smile:

No, it does make a difference as different unis teach in different ways, have different resources and are in different places so are all slightly different.
Reply 7
Original post by redmeercat
No, it does make a difference as different unis teach in different ways, have different resources and are in different places so are all slightly different.

So u wanna go down the tranditional route with those unis?
Reply 8
Thanks everyone, i spoke to my teacher and i switched on Monday to biology, i have already caught up with everything they learnt in september and beginning of October, i don't have much more left to catch up with.
It's not "too late", but the workload would probably be too much to catch up. If you asked your head of years 11 days ago, it would be more manageable.

Quick Reply

Latest