The Student Room Group

Motivation

I'm sure this has probably been asked countless times but I need some advice.
First some backstory about myself.
I am 21 years old, I have already done my A levels.
I took English literate, law and history all three of which I got an A in.

I decided not to go to university because none of the subjects are stuff which I wanted to do with my life and as such I went to work.

After going from job to job I now work in an opticians and I am thoroughly enjoying it; despite initially thinking I would hate it.

Due to how interesting my current job is I actually decided I want a career as an optometrist so I have paid to re-do my A levels as I now need sciences and/or maths.

I have always been a straight A student but as I have gotten older I have become lethargic and in general I am extremely unmotivated to do anything.

My partner is just finishing her law degree and I am aware of the fact that she wants to be with someone who is also in a job that earns good money.

I suppose my question is how can I motivate myself to study? I have already paid thousands to re-do my A levels to get the relevant grades to go to university yet every time I sit down to do so, I find myself procrastinating and I honestly worry about my future yet it is not enough to motivate me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies for the long post.

Junaid.
Original post by Huskai
I'm sure this has probably been asked countless times but I need some advice.
First some backstory about myself.
I am 21 years old, I have already done my A levels.
I took English literate, law and history all three of which I got an A in.

I decided not to go to university because none of the subjects are stuff which I wanted to do with my life and as such I went to work.

After going from job to job I now work in an opticians and I am thoroughly enjoying it; despite initially thinking I would hate it.

Due to how interesting my current job is I actually decided I want a career as an optometrist so I have paid to re-do my A levels as I now need sciences and/or maths.

I have always been a straight A student but as I have gotten older I have become lethargic and in general I am extremely unmotivated to do anything.

My partner is just finishing her law degree and I am aware of the fact that she wants to be with someone who is also in a job that earns good money.

I suppose my question is how can I motivate myself to study? I have already paid thousands to re-do my A levels to get the relevant grades to go to university yet every time I sit down to do so, I find myself procrastinating and I honestly worry about my future yet it is not enough to motivate me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies for the long post.

Junaid.

Be consistent and get a routine. If you have paid for the courses now you are committed ,so you have to get yourself sorted and be consistent.
The worst of both worlds is to fail to get the grades .

Organise a study plan and stick to it, make small manageable 30-60 m min units and do so many a day.

Forget about the gf as thats likely to be so much extra stress that you need to become a bit more ambivalent. She might make it and she might not.

Time to be a grown up and either do it or dont. Try and write a list to inspire you about why you are doing it.
As much as I hate to admit it, you cannot rely on motivation to help you achieve the grades you want. Motivation is a *****; it abandons you when you need it the most, and you certainly can't maintain it for your entire A-Level course. There will be some days where you will justifiably not feel up to study.

If you want to succeed, you need a strong sense of self discipline. Force yourself to do the work, even if you really don't feel like it. Try to set a routine; it only takes six weeks for a routine to turn into an automatic habit. Set specific study targets and reward yourself after completing each one. Remove all unnecessary distractions; turn off the WiFi if you need to. If you have difficulty with traditional methods of studying, branch out and explore other methods e.g. online resources, mnemonics, etc. If things get really bad, think about hiring a private tutor (although if you've already spend so much retaking your A-Levels, this may not be possible).

You have the ability to achieve your goals comfortably, so if you complete your exams feeling like you've done the best you can, then you will be fine. Don't feel afraid to turn to your partner or anyone else who you know cares about you for support if you need it. So go do the best you can :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest