The Student Room Group

Is Being Head Girl Worth It??? - PLEASE HELPP!!!!!!

So, come January, I may be going off to a new school. However, that means, obviously, that I wouldn't be deputy head girl anymore (I currently am). Also, it is likely that next year I would be head girl.

So, what I wanted to know, is it really worth it? Being head girl? Do uni's and stuff really like to see it in a personal statement? Is the experience really all that? Like responsibilities etc?

I know it is different in every school, and in my school, I currently don't have all that much authority (mainly because the year 11s are extremely dominating) but maybe that'd change if I were head girl and in year 11.

So, to cut the long story short, do you think it would be worth staying at an OK school where I have a 90% chance of being head girl, versus leaving to a boarding school which is waay better but have 0 chance of being head girl. (Also, I am kind of worried about homesickness)

Thanks!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
Bump:colondollar:
Reply 2
Anyone??
Reply 3
Please help!!
I'm a guy in year 13 and am a prefect at a boys grammar school (we're mixed in sixth form). Having been there since year 7, we didn't have prefects until sixth form. Honestly I doubt it matters so low down in the school. No offense. But prefects do way more work when they're in sixth form and the post sort of holds more prestige. In my opinion, just forget it. Do it sixth form; many sixth forms have a prefect system.
Reply 5
I was headgirl and unis don’t really care that much, in fact I’m writing my second personal statement for BA (doing a foundation currently) and I probably wont include it. It wont ever be a deciding factor so I wouldn’t overly worry. Go to the school you want to go to regardless of headgirl status. The fact that you’re deputy now means you can talk about the role in a very similar way x
nah
Reply 7
Not really, no. Maybe if you're applying to a sixth form and want to write something down in the application or say during an interview. Otherwise, universities don't really care.
Reply 8
Thanks so much! @Epitype, @pandaallie, @Wi11ow & @TCFactor.

I just wanted to add that my school end in year 11, so either way I'd be going to a different sixth form. Does that change anything, or nah?

Thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks so much! @Epitype, @pandaallie, @Wi11ow & @TCFactor.

I just wanted to add that my school end in year 11, so either way I'd be going to a different sixth form. Does that change anything, or nah?

Thanks!

Are you applying to a competitive sixth form, or are you going to move into your current school's sixth form? If it is competitive, it could be worthwhile to apply just to write in your application. However, you could do countless other things that could also help you like reading, sports, playing instruments, etc. but saying that you're head girl could get you a place in a sixth form.
I used to be a prefect in Y11 and it honestly didn't help me much when it came to applying to competitive sixth forms, let alone university. However, I was a prefect, and this is about being head so there is that difference.
Reply 10
Do uni's and stuff really like to see it in a personal statement?

Unis don't care. Do things simply because you want to, not to impress universities (or other people) - it doesn't.
Okay, thanks!

Also, I'd like to ask. Would you say it is worth moving schools (in year 10) for better teaching (where you'd have to catch up because of the different exam boards etc.), or it'd be worthwhile staying where you are but learning quite a bit on your own?

Thanks!

Original post by Doonesbury
Unis don't care. Do things simply because you want to, not to impress universities (or other people) - it doesn't.
Reply 12
Okay, thanks!

Also, I'd like to ask. Would you say it is worth moving schools (in year 10) for better teaching (where you'd have to catch up because of the different exam boards etc.), or it'd be worthwhile staying where you are but learning quite a bit on your own?

Thanks!

It's a bit late to be changing schools unless you actually need to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think if it was me, I'd go for the better school. Having 'Head Girl' on your CV would be great, but having better grades would be better don't you think? I don't know. At the end of the day.. it's your decision.
Original post by Doonesbury
It's a bit late to be changing schools unless you actually need to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you define as need to?
Reply 15
I read the topic title, and thought to myself ... I thought they use the word fluffer nowdays

[sorry bad joke lol]
Original post by ANM775
I read the topic title, and thought to myself ... I thought they use the word fluffer nowdays

[sorry bad joke lol]

....😳

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending