The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Infinite Series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TZ-Ivy6sOc
In this video, a University of Cambridge Medicine student explains how to get work experience for Medicine.
I hope you find it useful :smile:

Thank you so much!! :smile:)
Original post by emredman
Hi Lauren! I didn’t manage to get any work experience unfortunately! But I am hopefully going to start volunteering at my local nursing home soon! :smile:)

That sounds great - I am sure it will be very rewarding for you, as well as getting you that experience you need :smile:
Original post by Lauren @ Medical Projects
That sounds great - I am sure it will be very rewarding for you, as well as getting you that experience you need :smile:

Original post by Lauren @ Medical Projects

Thank you! I’m very excited! I really wanted to work at my local children’s hospice but unfortunately I can’t do anything until I am 16! :smile:)
Is 6 hours too much volunteering each week?
Medicine applicant y12, 4 a levels.
Would 2 hrs each week be better in terms of balancing it with academia? Or does doing more hours [at 2 different places when doing 6 hrs] put me at an advantage?
I am fully aware that volunteering/work experience in a healthcare environment is the best for medicine and am trying to organise some in a care home or a hospice, but just in case they don't work out I would like to know if these things might help.

Knowledge about the profession from my sister's husband. I have been able to ask him many questions about the job and I know the challenges in detail, especially as he has said numerous times he wants to quit for reasons such as the high-pressure environment, long hours, and the high amount of work. This hasn't discouraged me as the positives he described are what I want from a job.

Experiences in first aid. I have had many experiences in first aid training which has made me realise how much I liked helping people and learning about how you are able to help an injured person.

I have also been playing a musical instrument since Year 4 and have completed multiple grades on it. I have also been in the school's brass band since year 9, going to multiple competitions and concerts around the country

I have also played tennis since I was around 5 years old and have also been in the scouts (being the different age groups beavers, cubs etc.) since I was 6 years old, helping me with a wide range of activities which have helped me in a massive range of skills.

I have also completed a range of activities at school, such as a sign language course, a first aid course, team building activities, and various extra "stuff" like the maths challenges.

Obviously these won't be that helpful, but could they be even a bit helpful?
(edited 5 years ago)
So it could definitely help me if I say how they have helped me?
Work experience should be in a medical setting i.e. shadowing a doctor in hospital or a GP practice. Have you done this, or are you able to organise it?

Volunteering is often in a hospice, nursing home, hospital or similar caring environment. Ideally, it shouldn't replace medical work experience.

Tennis/playing an instrument/first aid/charity shop work are extra curriculars. You cannot include all of them, so pick just one or two and explain why you enjoy them.
Original post by Democracy
Work experience should be in a medical setting i.e. shadowing a doctor in hospital or a GP practice. Have you done this, or are you able to organise it?

Volunteering is often in a hospice, nursing home, hospital or similar caring environment. Ideally, it shouldn't replace medical work experience.

Tennis/playing an instrument/first aid/charity shop work are extra curriculars. You cannot include all of them, so pick just one or two and explain why you enjoy them.

I know that those are the best, however, my local hospital trust doesn't offer work experience. I have tried various other ones, but they have said no, but will be trying again.

Most universities understand how hard it is to get so seem to accept volunteering in places such as a care home or a hospice.

And thank you for the advice :smile:
Original post by Goldfish4343
I know that those are the best, however, my local hospital trust doesn't offer work experience. I have tried various other ones, but they have said no, but will be trying again.

Most universities understand how hard it is to get so seem to accept volunteering in places such as a care home or a hospice.

And thank you for the advice :smile:

Might be worth also checking with local GP surgeries and private hospitals, if you haven't already?

And yeah, if you can't get clinical work experience then volunteering is still good (I did say "ideally" :tongue:).
Hi there,

I wanted to get some practical experience with medicine under my belt, partly because I have an interest in developing my knowledge further and also because it's a great life skill to have.

I am just having a bit of trouble in selecting which course I should take. There are so many and I would like to pick a course that is informative enough for me to talk about during interviews and for me to get a qualification under my belt also.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I really just want to know what course I should go for - anything else that's useful for me to know would also be appreciated.

Thanks!
I'm currently in Year 12 and I would like to study medicine at uni. During the summer I was able to volunteer at a GP surgery for 5 days but it was mainly jut administrative work. I'm currently looking for hospital volunteering opportunities but I also want to maintain high grades. Should I start volunteering now or at the start of next year and if so, where can I find good websites and info on securing a healthcare related volunteering?
Original post by Buch77
I'm currently in Year 12 and I would like to study medicine at uni. During the summer I was able to volunteer at a GP surgery for 5 days but it was mainly jut administrative work. I'm currently looking for hospital volunteering opportunities but I also want to maintain high grades. Should I start volunteering now or at the start of next year and if so, where can I find good websites and info on securing a healthcare related volunteering?

Start thinking about this stuff as soon as possible - the vetting process (references, DBS checks, etc) can take weeks to sort out. If you start applying now, your actual start date will probably end up being the beginning of 2019 anyway.

Might also be worth arranging some clinical work experience too.

You can find relevant contact details on hospital, hospice, nursing home, etc websites. There's often a dedicated volunteering department you can contact.
No matter how hard I try it seems impossible to find! I have no family contacts in medicine and that looks to be the only way to get any. I'm already volunteering etc, and this thread is about work experience only. Does anyone know how to help??? (btw in year 12)
Original post by Cakecupcake
No matter how hard I try it seems impossible to find! I have no family contacts in medicine and that looks to be the only way to get any. I'm already volunteering etc, and this thread is about work experience only. Does anyone know how to help??? (btw in year 12)

If you look on the nhs trust websites in your area they often have volunteering/work experience opportunities for those looking to go in to medicine/dentistry/midwifery etc I know a few friends who’ve done it and found it useful to determine what they want to do in the future
Not original commenter, but where in Yorkshire can you help with?
I am applying for Medicine in 2020 and I am most keen on applying to especially Imperial and UCL. I know both universities look for 'well-rounded individuals' which I was. However, I am now unable to participate in sports due to health conditions. How can I show I am a well-rounded individual and have more to me than just studying?
Original post by ddjjdd
I am applying for Medicine in 2020 and I am most keen on applying to especially Imperial and UCL. I know both universities look for 'well-rounded individuals' which I was. However, I am now unable to participate in sports due to health conditions. How can I show I am a well-rounded individual and have more to me than just studying?

Volunteer weekly at an elderly care home? :smile:)
Original post by pinkbacon1437
Volunteer weekly at an elderly care home? :smile:)

I am already volunteering at the hospital, do you think I need to do that as well.
Original post by ddjjdd
I am already volunteering at the hospital, do you think I need to do that as well.

Oh then no. Do you play any instruments?
What do you volunteer as at the hospital and what’s it like? -id like to volunteer at my local one

Latest

Trending

Trending