The Student Room Group

my dad wants me to do Econ a level but i wanna persue further math

im planning to do for sixth form
math
further math
chem
phys

but my dad wants me to do econ badly as im getting 9s in gcse in it
currently im in set 1 math and am doing further math gcse and add math fsmq and im currently getting 7s in math
what do i do PLZ REPLY

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also my dad did a masters in economics o that may why he want me to do it
if you're getting 7s in maths, further maths may be a bit too hard for you. I think you'd manage it, but you'd have to put a hell of a lot of work in; but if you're willing to do that then go for it.
It's up to you what you do, don't let your dad pressure you into doing something you want to do. Do what you want and work hard and you'll be fine.
Reply 3
mate im getting 7s without effort imagine what id get with effort
Does your dad want you to do econ for A-Level or at university as well?
Reply 5
Original post by Infinite Series
Does your dad want you to do econ for A-Level or at university as well?

just a level i think
Reply 6
i ca choose my other 3 a level subjects and everything else but he wants me to do a level econ
Original post by Sports10
i ca choose my other 3 a level subjects and everything else but he wants me to do a level econ

What do you want do at uni?
just a level i think

If you want to 'pursue further maths', you can still take Maths, Further Maths, Economics and another subject at A-Level.
This way, everyone's happy.
Reply 9
Original post by Incarcarus

dont know really thats why im taking facillitaing subjects but i have an intresrt in physics and enginerring and chem
Reply 10
If you want to 'pursue further maths', you can still take Maths, Further Maths, Economics and another subject at A-Level.
This way, everyone's happy.

unfortunatley i wouldnt exchange chem or phys for anything so that wont work mate

dont know really thats why im taking facillitaing subjects but i have an intresrt in physics and enginerring and chem

For all of those, its best you stick with your options because swapping any out for economics means you lose out on an area. Plus you don't need economics to it at uni so swapping out a subject for economics is not beneficial for uni choices
Dad's had his turn. It's your decision. How are you with essays?
unfortunatley i wouldnt exchange chem or phys for anything so that wont work mate

Why won't you exchange them? This is literally the only good thing you can do in this position. You can still pursue Maths at uni without chemistry.
You've gotta do what you enjoy the most because at the end of the day its you thats going to be sitting the exams so if you like the subject then you're more likely to want to revise and do well and succeed, just follow your heart. lol that was deep
You stated you're getting 7's with no revision -

I can assure you, you do not have an idea on how truly A-Level maths looks like.
My friend got a 8 in GCSE for Maths and just got a U for Further Maths and E for Maths AS grades.
We go to the worst school in the city and he still got an 8 which is HIGHLY impressive - we almost got shutdown by Ofsted.

GCSE Maths is absolutely NOTHING compared to A-Level Maths. No subject in GCSE is even comparable, it's like SAT's and GCSE's.
The only way you do good in core subjects is if you TRULY love the subject, one of my different friends got a 9 and he learnt the A-Level Content in year 10 and 11 and now got an A for AS exams but still only 1 mark in.

You also need to lose the attitude of "life comes easy" or you will drown in a-levels.
Reply 16
Why won't you exchange them? This is literally the only good thing you can do in this position. You can still pursue Maths at uni without chemistry.

mate i may wanna do a chem degree who said i wanted to do a math degree however i may wanna do a physics degree... im 15 in yr 11
mate im getting 7s without effort imagine what id get with effort

Probably exactly the same as maths isn't focused on revision like history, geography, etc.
Baby GCSE maths is following sequences and using basic logic in your answers.
Reply 18
Original post by BrutalReality
You stated you're getting 7's with no revision -

I can assure you, you do not have an idea on how truly A-Level maths looks like.
My friend got a 8 in GCSE for Maths and just got a U for Further Maths and E for Maths AS grades.
We go to the worst school in the city and he still got an 8 which is HIGHLY impressive - we almost got shutdown by Ofsted.

GCSE Maths is absolutely NOTHING compared to A-Level Maths. No subject in GCSE is even comparable, it's like SAT's and GCSE's.
The only way you do good in core subjects is if you TRULY love the subject, one of my different friends got a 9 and he learnt the A-Level Content in year 10 and 11 and now got an A for AS exams but still only 1 mark in.

You also need to lose the attitude of "life comes easy" or you will drown in a-levels.

do u know who ur talking o i wake up at 2 am and i doo revisio for math but i have 14 other gcses to spend my time on revision is my life
do u know who ur talking o i wake up at 2 am and i doo revisio for math but i have 14 other gcses to spend my time on revision is my life

You just contradicted your own argument. You literally said you don't put any effort into maths and now you're saying you revise at 2am.

Troll rating: 1.2/10

Quick Reply

Latest