MeeshLNH
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I am 33 and have a young child. I started uni at 18 and hated the course so left. Started again at 24 doing Social Work and completed everything but the final placement (health issues/personal issues/depression) but I even did my dissertation and did very well. I got a HND in social care with my credits. Anyway I'd like to study a blended learning degree but is it true I wont get any help now?
SFE Dean
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by MeeshLNH)
I am 33 and have a young child. I started uni at 18 and hated the course so left. Started again at 24 doing Social Work and completed everything but the final placement (health issues/personal issues/depression) but I even did my dissertation and did very well. I got a HND in social care with my credits. Anyway I'd like to study a blended learning degree but is it true I wont get any help now?
Hello,

The amount of funding you can receive will depend on your previous study and the course you’re applying for.

Given the information above, is it correct to surmise the following:

You have 4 years previous study in Higher Education (one year on a degree that you left at 18 years of age, then 3 years on a further degree).
You currently hold a HND qualification.
You have care of a young child.

We’ll also need to ask a few questions in order to help further.

Can you please let us know the full details of the course you wish to undertake and if you’re thinking of studying it full time or part time?

Warm Regards, Dean.
MeeshLNH
Rep:
?
Hello. That summary is correct.I am hoping to study a blended learning criminology and psychology course at Arden University. Fees are £6000 per year. I feel this will best fit around my part time job and child, whilst allowing me to complete the degree in 3 years. It is classed as part time, 8 hours a week face to face and the rest online.
SFE Dean
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hello. That summary is correct.I am hoping to study a blended learning criminology and psychology course at Arden University. Fees are £6000 per year. I feel this will best fit around my part time job and child, whilst allowing me to complete the degree in 3 years. It is classed as part time, 8 hours a week face to face and the rest online.
Hello,

Since you are studying the course part time then you should be able to apply for tuition fees regardless of your stated previous study. The most important aspect is you don’t hold an Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) to the one you are trying to study.

Is the course you’re studying also classed as distance learning?

When are you thinking of starting the course?

Warm Regards, Dean.
MeeshLNH
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Dean)
Hello,

Since you are studying the course part time then you should be able to apply for tuition fees regardless of your stated previous study. The most important aspect is you don’t hold an Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) to the one you are trying to study.

Is the course you’re studying also classed as distance learning?

When are you thinking of starting the course?

Warm Regards, Dean.
Hello
There are several intake dates but the latest would be September 2019 so if I use that date as a guide. The course isn't quite classed as distance learning, it is blended learning because there are 8 hours per week of classroom based tuition. Would this make a difference do you think?
Also, are maintenance loans still available in addition to tuition fee loans from SFE?
SFE Dean
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hello
There are several intake dates but the latest would be September 2019 so if I use that date as a guide. The course isn't quite classed as distance learning, it is blended learning because there are 8 hours per week of classroom based tuition. Would this make a difference do you think?
Also, are maintenance loans still available in addition to tuition fee loans from SFE?
Hello,

If the course is classed as part time and not distance learning, then potentially you can apply for a part time maintenance loan.

If it is classed as distance learning we’d need evidence you’re undertaking it due to a disability in order to apply for a part time maintenance loan.

On part time courses we can’t offer any Grants for Dependants (GFDs) towards your child costs.

If you have a disability, you can still apply for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).

Warm Regards, Dean.
MeeshLNH
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Dean)
Hello,

If the course is classed as part time and not distance learning, then potentially you can apply for a part time maintenance loan.

If it is classed as distance learning we’d need evidence you’re undertaking it due to a disability in order to apply for a part time maintenance loan.

On part time courses we can’t offer any Grants for Dependants (GFDs) towards your child costs.

If you have a disability, you can still apply for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).

Warm Regards, Dean.
Hello.
Thank you for your response.
Having looked more into the course its the distance learning one that is part time and as you say wouldnt get any maintenance funding. The blended learning option is classed as full time so having had previous funding I guess its safe to say I dont have a chance
I'm off to cry in a corner somewhere
Claire SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hello.
Thank you for your response.
Having looked more into the course its the distance learning one that is part time and as you say wouldnt get any maintenance funding. The blended learning option is classed as full time so having had previous funding I guess its safe to say I dont have a chance
I'm off to cry in a corner somewhere
Hi MeeshLNH,

We would suggest speaking to the university/college you wish to do the course through, if they know of alternative funding options available.

Thanks,
Claire
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads