Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I got accepted for a BA in Architecture a month ago, but I think I rather should have applied for the BSc.... Also, my uni offers both. Is it too late? Don't want to go through the entire application process again, and I already firmed my offer
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I got accepted for a BA in Architecture a month ago, but I think I rather should have applied for the BSc.... Also, my uni offers both. Is it too late? Don't want to go through the entire application process again, and I already firmed my offer
Contact your university and ask them

PS. I'm moving this to Applications, Clearing and UCAS
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've had a quick scroll through UCAS and I can't find a single university which offers both "BA Architecture" and "BSc Architecture". There are universities offering the BA along with a BSc in "Architectural Technology", "Architecture & Environmental Design", "Architectural Engineering", and one offering a BSc in Architecture and BA in Architecture & Planning.

The important and common thread with these, is the latter courses - i.e. anything not called "Architecture" - are not necessarily ARB accredited, RIBA Part 1 exempting degrees. That is, they are not training programmes to become an architect. Some of them are in fact specifically designed to train other professions within the built environment sector - and architectural technologist is not an architect, for example. Some of them might be (Architecture & Planning/Environmental Design, for example, may well be) but quite a few are, as noted, simply totally different areas.

As above ultimately it's up to the university whether they will permit the switch. Assuming you're pursuing architecture with the intent to become a practicing architect, you need to be looking at courses which are ARB accredited and RIBA Part 1 exempting, so you need to confirm if either (or both) courses you're considering fall into that category, and that should hopefully make up your mind. As far as I can tell there are two universities where it might be the case that both courses are ARB/RIBA Part 1, in which case obviously if you feel one is better suited to you then by all means go ahead with that. But do look into whether this alternate course you're looking at is actually going to get you to the goal you're aiming for.

Incidentally nobody actually cares whether your degree title has a BSc or BA - employers (or postgrad course providers) care about your degree classification, the relevance of the degree programme to whatever you're going on to do with it, and what you've actually done in the course of the degree (none of which are predicted or revealed by that title). So if that's a concern, you don't need to worry about it
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (129)
59.45%
No (47)
21.66%
Not sure (41)
18.89%

Watched Threads