The Student Room Group

Radiotherapy and Oncology Bsc or Cancer Biomedicine?

I did have the issue of which to choose, and I finally decided to go with Radiotherapy and Oncology for 4 options (Liverpool, Cardiff and SGUL, unsure about last option) and 1 Cancer Biomedicine (UCL). Am I making the right decision? Do you think I have any chance of getting into the Cancer Biomedicine course if I've written a Radiotherapy and Oncology personal statement? Cancer Biomedicine is my backup if I dont get into the Universities I want to go to. Also for Cancer Biomedicine, I'm applying for a contextual offer so its even more unsure if I could get in?!
Original post by Btstrash
I did have the issue of which to choose, and I finally decided to go with Radiotherapy and Oncology for 4 options (Liverpool, Cardiff and SGUL, unsure about last option) and 1 Cancer Biomedicine (UCL). Am I making the right decision? Do you think I have any chance of getting into the Cancer Biomedicine course if I've written a Radiotherapy and Oncology personal statement? Cancer Biomedicine is my backup if I dont get into the Universities I want to go to. Also for Cancer Biomedicine, I'm applying for a contextual offer so its even more unsure if I could get in?!

Radiotherapy and oncology are vocational courses whereas the UCL one is an academic one so you do need to choose as the focus of the two PSs will be different.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Radiotherapy and oncology are vocational courses whereas the UCL one is an academic one so you do need to choose as the focus of the two PSs will be different.

But they both focus around cancer and oncology? That's my reason for picking both since I'm really interested in cancer whether it be to help treat cancer or cancer research. Is there no way I could get in with this reasoning? I was thinking, since a lot of universities give offers for Biomedicine applicants with a Medicine personal statement? Also do think its worth emailing the administrations office for UCL and asking if I can do this (specifically naming that I will apply via a radiotherapy and oncology personal statement)?
Original post by Btstrash
But they both focus around cancer and oncology? That's my reason for picking both since I'm really interested in cancer whether it be to help treat cancer or cancer research. Is there no way I could get in with this reasoning? I was thinking, since a lot of universities give offers for Biomedicine applicants with a Medicine personal statement? Also do think its worth emailing the administrations office for UCL and asking if I can do this (specifically naming that I will apply via a radiotherapy and oncology personal statement)?

Yup but you have to think about what he course is training you to do and the outcomes. One is training you to work as a radiotherapist and one is just helping you to develop your interest and knowledge of cancer. Medicine is a different story and the same doesn't apply for other courses. Yes you can email UCL and ask if they will accept a separate statement.
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
Yup but you have to think about what he course is training you to do and the outcomes. One is training you to work as a radiotherapist and one is just helping you to develop your interest and knowledge of cancer. Medicine is a different story and the same doesn't apply for other courses. Yes you can email UCL and ask if they will accept a separate statement.

thank you so much!

Quick Reply