The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick or Durham for Mathematics (MMath)

Hi everybody. I applied for Warwick, Durham, Manchester, Oxford, and Imperial and was rejected by Oxford and Imperial and given the following offers for Maths:

Warwick: AAA or AAB with grade 2 in a STEP or merit in AEA
Durham: AAB
Manchester ABB

I am either going to go for Warwick firm and Durham insurance, or Durham firm and Manchester insurance. So I need to choose between Warwick and Durham. I plan to post this in the Warwick and Durham forums so that I can get a balanced response from each of Warwick and Durham.

So far I feel that I am edging towards Warwick because of the 'modern-ness' feel of the University, and the fact that everything is on one campus as well. I live in Southport and the distance from Durham and Warwick is around the same and not too far, which is important because I'd like to frequently come to and from my home town because of my girlfriend and other things.

I have not yet been to see Warwick but maybe plan to go on the 10th May but I need to decide on my University before the open day which sucks a bit. To be honest, Durham seemed a little bit like Oxford in that it was a bit 'old-fashioned' for me with the older buildings and such. But don't get me wrong, it was a nice place and the people at Van Mildert College were very helpful and all seemed pleasant, which is a good thing, and also very important.

I also have interests in poker and Manchester United, if this helps. Any other fans? I will need to go back to Southport to watch the United games in my local pub a lot of the time, because I have a good friend/social base there.

So please give your thoughts to help me out a bit, much appreciated.
Reply 1
Well, in my entirely impartial view, the mathematics department at Warwick is much stronger than the one at Durham :p:. How confident are you that you'll be able to meet the Warwick offer?
Warwick's campus is compact, friendly and modern; and the maths department in particular is a new building which is entirely beautiful.
The open day on May 10 is for current year 12 students. If you're planning on perhaps coming here for the next four years, then I'd strongly advise that you try and arrange a look around the university before your deadline. Is there any chance that you'd be able to come around and visit? I'm sure that the university would be happy to provide you a tour of sorts.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
I didn't apply for Mathematics, but I ended up in the Mathematics building and was very impressed. They've obviously put a lot of money into it, and I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed.

From the look of things the Warwick Maths society is very active, providing academic support & running social events. Also, the 'day in the life of a Warwick maths student' video there made me laugh, and it seems like they have a good atmosphere in the department.

Sounds like the Poker Society is active too.

As I say, I'm not at Warwick and I haven't experienced it first-hand, but hopefully the above will help give you an idea of what's going on there.
I hadn't seen that video before. Cool.
Reply 4
I was in a similar position as you this time last year, I ended up putting warwick as my firm and durham as my insurance.

We do like to think we are slightly better rated for maths but if you want to go to a university your grandparents have heard of then go for durham :smile:

In all fairness though, you will struggle to find a better maths building anywhere in the UK, which is certainly an important factor as you spend a LOT of time there.

Course-wise, warwick's is so much more flexible. In year one, only 75% of modules are core and you can take whatever other modules you like across the whole university as long as you have the requirements and the timetable fits. That said, you are encouraged to do lots more maths!

I think from an employment perspective, we have a slight edge. Employers know how highly rated warwick maths is and you're bombarded with opportunities. Plus if you want to work in the city you might find yourself having to go to numerous interviews, being only an hour on the train is a much nicer prospect than coming down from durham.

The campus thing is great, probably not going to be quite as good traveling in from leamington next year but everyone does it.

Given the choice, i'd go with the warwick durham combination, bear in mind it's a tough course but if you meet the entry requirements then you'll be fine, if not you'll get into durham. Can't really lose. I have a friend at manchester doing maths and from what he's told me i can see i made the right choice - plus you should practically have that AA in maths sorted now right?
Reply 5
silent ninja
I hadn't seen that video before. Cool.

Me neither, I think I'll have to start growing my hair if I'm going to apply to Warwick. :biggrin:
Reply 6
I sent Warwick and Durham an e-mail before making up my mind (one of them was going to be my insurance). Warwick replied, and their reply was a good, in depth one, and came with a nice ammended offer too. Durham didn't even bother to reply. So in the end, my choice was very easy :smile: . From what I know/have seen of Warwick, I'd be more than happy to go there (though of course I want to go to my firm :smile: .)
Simba
I sent Warwick and Durham an e-mail before making up my mind (one of them was going to be my insurance). Warwick replied, and their reply was a good, in depth one, and came with a nice ammended offer too. Durham didn't even bother to reply. So in the end, my choice was very easy :smile: . From what I know/have seen of Warwick, I'd be more than happy to go there (though of course I want to go to my firm :smile: .)

**** Cambridge, come to Warwick :wink: hehe.
Reply 8
The Orientalist
**** Cambridge, come to Warwick :wink: hehe.

Hehe, I will if I don't get an A in physics :wink: !
Reply 9
Echolife
Me neither, I think I'll have to start growing my hair if I'm going to apply to Warwick. :biggrin:

My supervisor this year bemoaned the fact that all the mathmos came back for their second year *all* with much longer hair. Perhaps keeping it trimmed will let you stand out more? :smile:
Reply 10
estel
My supervisor this year bemoaned the fact that all the mathmos came back for their second year *all* with much longer hair. Perhaps keeping it trimmed will let you stand out more? :smile:

:five: That's good to hear, it'll save me money on shampoo. :biggrin:
estel

Haha, i grew a beard in the first term of my second year!
I tried to grow one in my 2nd year but failed miserably: it looked like utter ****.
Reply 13
Yeah, Warwick's really good for maths. And our maths building has a really cool piece of art in it :p:

Latest