The Student Room Group

Which Year Should I Apply For?

I am receiving my Diploma of Higher Education in Psychology in May from the Open University, 2019 - and I have an HNC in Social Science. I'm studying to become a developmental psychologist. It'd frustrate me to start from year 1, since the Dip.He counts as the first two years of university study... But which year should I apply to? Should I apply to 1st year and then speak to someone about possible transfer? Should I go for 2nd year? The reason I'm trying to ask here is because getting information from the University of Glasgow has been PULLING TEETH. The first person I spoke to didn't know what a Dip.He was and said it wouldn't grant me entry; the next person I was transferred to has said that I am eligible to apply... And that's all she has said, after a month of no correspondence. A sentence which hasn't really cleared up what I asked, after sending her all the units I've studied in detail. Any advice on what to do? I'm scared that entering the wrong year will mean I'll miss my chance to go to University, as my applications will get rejected. :frown:
Original post by Ashfire45
I am receiving my Diploma of Higher Education in Psychology in May from the Open University, 2019 - and I have an HNC in Social Science. I'm studying to become a developmental psychologist. It'd frustrate me to start from year 1, since the Dip.He counts as the first two years of university study... But which year should I apply to? Should I apply to 1st year and then speak to someone about possible transfer? Should I go for 2nd year? The reason I'm trying to ask here is because getting information from the University of Glasgow has been PULLING TEETH. The first person I spoke to didn't know what a Dip.He was and said it wouldn't grant me entry; the next person I was transferred to has said that I am eligible to apply... And that's all she has said, after a month of no correspondence. A sentence which hasn't really cleared up what I asked, after sending her all the units I've studied in detail. Any advice on what to do? I'm scared that entering the wrong year will mean I'll miss my chance to go to University, as my applications will get rejected. :frown:

Strictly speaking a Dip HE could let you apply for year 3, but it depends what they make of it and the course you apply for. Its up to them what they consider its equal to. You really have to liaise with your chosen uni admissions or course organiser and see what they say. You may also be limited by how much HE funding you have left as well. Check with student finance. Just resent or repeat your questions.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Strictly speaking a Dip HE could let you apply for year 3, but it depends what they make of it and the course you apply for. Its up to them what they consider its equal to. You really have to liaise with your chosen uni admissions or course organiser and see what they say. You may also be limited by how much HE funding you have left as well. Check with student finance. Just resent or repeat your questions.

Hi Tigger, thanks so much for the reply! Taking your advice, I contacted the three universities of my choice. Caledonian and Strathclyde have told me they can't say; Univeristy of Glasgow has replied I won't be accepted due to the fact I have Numeracy at level 5 instead of Mathematics at level 5. I find this frustrating, as I'm nearly qualified with a Diploma of Higher Education in Psychology. I assume this means I'm more capable of studying Psychology than school-leavers with Highers. UCAS tells me that, to apply for any other year, I need to discuss it with the university in question - and they aren't willing to discuss it. I suppose the only answer is to apply for first year!
Original post by Ashfire45
Hi Tigger, thanks so much for the reply! Taking your advice, I contacted the three universities of my choice. Caledonian and Strathclyde have told me they can't say; Univeristy of Glasgow has replied I won't be accepted due to the fact I have Numeracy at level 5 instead of Mathematics at level 5. I find this frustrating, as I'm nearly qualified with a Diploma of Higher Education in Psychology. I assume this means I'm more capable of studying Psychology than school-leavers with Highers. UCAS tells me that, to apply for any other year, I need to discuss it with the university in question - and they aren't willing to discuss it. I suppose the only answer is to apply for first year!

Can you ask when Caledonian can say? You may just have had admissions who cant give you a discretion answer as that may be down to the department.
Your other option is to look south of the border.

I'm assuming funding is an issue if you apply for year 1?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending