tess of the d'urbervilles Watch

spaghetti12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,
I was wondering of anyone had tips on how to revise for tess and what parts of the novel to focus on and any quotes, key analysis of characters, themes, symbols ect.
Thanks
LiyoS
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by spaghetti12)
Hi,
I was wondering of anyone had tips on how to revise for tess and what parts of the novel to focus on and any quotes, key analysis of characters, themes, symbols ect.
Thanks

How to revise for almost any novel you are studying is: Know the text really, really, well.

(1) re-read it so it is fresh in your mind.
(2) have a list of key plot points - the "what happens" in the novel. this usually builds to a climax.
(3) alongside this, have a note of the key characters and the key points when they are revealed to us/described to us/ when their fortunes turn or they are forced to make a critical choice.
(4) write down quotes from the text which support these points. Learn them.

For Tess - and it has been a lot of years since I have read this - you will want to show the development of her character. Her innocence, beauty and purity. Her "peony lips" is a good one here to remember. Then we have the turning point when she meets Alec, (dramatic conflict) and we have the rape. (where her fortunes turn) Then, another key moment is when she meets Angel (note the ironic significance of his name) and the business with the letter. We have the double standards of what Angel believes a man is entitled to do, versus the way a woman is judged when she has been victim to a man's desires. (Hardy as a feminist?) We have the inevitability of tragedy, Tess' abandonment and her 'revenge'/tragic end.

Look at the ways in which Hardy allows us to empathise with Tess. How does she have our sympathies? For one thing, the text is focalised on her. Secondly, consider what makes her a tragic heroine?

I hope some of these random thoughts help. read the text though. If in doubt, always go back to that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (44)
12.32%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
10.92%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.08%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.52%
No (254)
71.15%

Watched Threads