The Student Room Group

Struggling to find a job

Hi,

I'm currently in year 13 and I've been struggling to find a part-time job for a long time now because employers either say my schedule isn't flexible enough or I don't have enough experience.
My mum thinks I should just focus on my A Levels and I shouldn't bother getting a job, however, most of my friends have jobs and I feel lazy that I don't have one.

Do you think I should bother trying to find a job, and will not having a job affect my ability to get one later on when I go to university?
If you think I should get a job, do you have any tips on how to get a part-time job?
Original post by spaghetti12
Hi,

I'm currently in year 13 and I've been struggling to find a part-time job for a long time now because employers either say my schedule isn't flexible enough or I don't have enough experience.
My mum thinks I should just focus on my A Levels and I shouldn't bother getting a job, however, most of my friends have jobs and I feel lazy that I don't have one.

Do you think I should bother trying to find a job, and will not having a job affect my ability to get one later on when I go to university?
If you think I should get a job, do you have any tips on how to get a part-time job?

I didnt have a job at A -Level but f you really want one, ask your friends where they work if theyre are any jobs going there. Im guessing that the schedule or experience wont be an issue at them, because your friends will have similar to you?
Hi,

I had a job in year 12 but I quit because it was taking up too much of my time. If you are looking for some income of some sort, keep checking local job websites like indeed or ask around in local shops near you if they have any vacancies but overall, do what’s best for you, it’s not lazy if you don’t have one.
You could try volunteering? It will give you excellent skills that a lot of employers look for and is generally very flexible with regards to your other commitments
Reply 4
Hi,

Hi, i feel the same way I have been looking for ages, don't give up, I think it's important to keep looking though if you want a job you can get one, it's possible, or maybe you could start volunteering to build experience, you will get a job don't worry, keep searching!
Hi,

Try mcdonalds.
They take on a lot of students and are very flexible.
Hi,

Hey,
It is hard to find a job as it is so competative now a days! I personally would concentrate on your a-levels and get a good grade so that you are able to go to univeristy and you can get a job in your summer break when you have more time to work and you can gain experience before you go to univeristy :smile:
I hope this helps, let me know how you get on!
Sophia
Do you need a job? If not, I would suggest focus on your A Levels and being young. I did paper rounds which was flexible work, but never had formal employment while studying, and it meant I could really just focus on my work and do well, which was good.
Hi,

Hi there,

Hoping I can offer some support.

I think it's great that you have the desire to work whilst your doing your A-levels and I also understand how difficult it can be.

For students part-time jobs working in bars, restaurants, cinemas and late night shopping centres can help you with the flexibility you are looking for.

Many places will be looking for temporary workers across Christmas and into the New Year too. To build up experience on your CV you could also consider volunteering (which was mentioned by someone else here).

If you would like to talk things through with a careers adviser on finding part time employment you can chat with us online through our website and I would also recommend do-it for volunteering.

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home

www.do-it.org

Good luck with the jobs search - Sophie.

Quick Reply

Latest