applesandroses
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
hi does anyone take GCSE Classics (AQA) and if so could you tell me more about it?
thanks
awanderingpixel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can't find anything about AQA GCSE Classics online, but I do OCR Classical Civilisation and Classical Greek (and I've dabbled in OCR Classical Latin as well), so I might be able to help.
applesandroses
Rep:
?
(Original post by awanderingpixel)
I can't find anything about AQA GCSE Classics online, but I do OCR Classical Civilisation and Classical Greek (and I've dabbled in OCR Classical Latin as well), so I might be able to help.
I might have the wrong exam board 😂 could you tell me about it?
awanderingpixel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by applesandroses)
I might have the wrong exam board 😂 could you tell me about it?
You do two 'thematic studies' (each with their ownmodules). For example, I do Women in the Ancient World and the Homeric World. Alternative thematic studies include Myth and Religion and Roman City Life, Women in the Ancient World and War and Warfare and so on.

I personally find it really fascinating because you get to study Greek and Roman culture from about 1600BC - 400AD (depending on which course you do) and it's kind of a mixture of History, English (for the literature topics, for example I'm studying books 9,10,19 and 21 of the Odyssey), Art History, Cultural Studies (so Sociology I guess?)...

It's also easier than Geography and History (the other two humanities I do) but it's not really a soft subject - there's still loads to learn.

There're no languages involved in Classical Civilisation (other than key words, e.g. xenia, to describe cultural phenomena that don't exist in English), which means you can focus more on the culture of the ancient world.

If you're interested in Classics and the Ancient World, or just want a subject that combines a bit of everything (apart from maybe maths) then I'd say Class Civ is a great choice, though it's not for everyone.

Hope this helps and you make your decision about GCSE Classics
applesandroses
Rep:
?
thank you so much!!
(Original post by awanderingpixel)
You do two 'thematic studies' (each with their ownmodules). For example, I do Women in the Ancient World and the Homeric World. Alternative thematic studies include Myth and Religion and Roman City Life, Women in the Ancient World and War and Warfare and so on.

I personally find it really fascinating because you get to study Greek and Roman culture from about 1600BC - 400AD (depending on which course you do) and it's kind of a mixture of History, English (for the literature topics, for example I'm studying books 9,10,19 and 21 of the Odyssey), Art History, Cultural Studies (so Sociology I guess?)...

It's also easier than Geography and History (the other two humanities I do) but it's not really a soft subject - there's still loads to learn.

There're no languages involved in Classical Civilisation (other than key words, e.g. xenia, to describe cultural phenomena that don't exist in English), which means you can focus more on the culture of the ancient world.

If you're interested in Classics and the Ancient World, or just want a subject that combines a bit of everything (apart from maybe maths) then I'd say Class Civ is a great choice, though it's not for everyone.

Hope this helps and you make your decision about GCSE Classics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (66)
12.13%
Virtual campus tours/open days (132)
24.26%
Live streaming events (47)
8.64%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.56%
A uni comparison tool (127)
23.35%
An in-person event when available (120)
22.06%