The Student Room Group

How 'relevant' should CV be?

Currently in the process of applying for a variety of summer placements in the engineering industry. I have no previous work experience of working in this field, however I did spend a long time working in retail before going to uni.

Whilst this work certainly helped me develop a variety of skills such as customer service, teamwork and training new members of staff, I can't help but think that potential employers will dismiss it as irrelevant. Surely it's better than having no work experience on my CV though?
Original post by Smooth Sailing
Currently in the process of applying for a variety of summer placements in the engineering industry. I have no previous work experience of working in this field, however I did spend a long time working in retail before going to uni.

Whilst this work certainly helped me develop a variety of skills such as customer service, teamwork and training new members of staff, I can't help but think that potential employers will dismiss it as irrelevant. Surely it's better than having no work experience on my CV though?

Have a confidence on yourself. Act like you have more than one option and don’t project a desperate desire for the role just passionate

What kinds of things do the placements you have looked at specify or ask for? You should try and make your CV as specific to these as you can.

It needs to be 100% relevant, that's the point of a CV. It's supposed to be a 1 side evidence of relevant skills. The art of making a good CV is to be able to spin superficially irrelevant things, like your Interests etc to make them relevant. A tech employer has zero interest in your ability to work in a busy bar, use a till and serve drinks, but there might be relevant soft skills in terms of teamwork, customer service etc that you can get out of it.

The employers do not expect you to have any relevant work experience now. You are applying for a summer internship to get that relevant experience so when you graduate you have it and will be on top of the graduate job competition.

Having said that, I support what others have mentioned Make your CV is relevant to the job you are applying to. Don’t just make one CV that fits all, customise it to every different job. For example, when you mention your skills, try to connect them to whatever requirements the job you are applying to has in the job description. Research on the company, know their field of work and what particular duties you may have to take part in during the summer internship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending