Should NI secede the UK and rejoin the ROI? Watch

qwertyK
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Brexit is being made chaotic by the issue of the border at NI, we cannot the power of our country for decades to come over a small area that has been illegally occupied by the British, where most residents associate with being Irish more than British. Would you support this? I'm not Irish I'm english
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 10 months ago
Theres also a lot of other things you are not.

NO.
qwertyK
Rep:
?
??
can't understand what you meant by the first bit

If it looks Irish and sounds Irish, its Irish. There's a reason why its got "Ireland" in the name
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by qwertyK)
Brexit is being made chaotic by the issue of the border at NI, we cannot the power of our country for decades to come over a small area that has been illegally occupied by the British, where most residents associate with being Irish more than British. Would you support this? I'm not Irish I'm english
(1) Northern Ireland isn't "occupied", either illegally or otherwise. It's an integral part of the United Kingdom.

(2) It is positive to have a relatively frictionless border with the Republic of Ireland. That doesn't make Brexit "chaotic".

(3) The suggestion that people associate more with being Irish than British in Northern Ireland is extremely simplistic and politically naive. People have differing and overlapping identities and a majority want to remain in the United Kingdom.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Sure, it's a drain on the government pocket and offers little to no benefits for the UK bar some quaint little sense of nationalism.
qwertyK
Rep:
?
(Original post by L i b)
(1) Northern Ireland isn't "occupied", either illegally or otherwise. It's an integral part of the United Kingdom.

(2) It is positive to have a relatively frictionless border with the Republic of Ireland. That doesn't make Brexit "chaotic".

(3) The suggestion that people associate more with being Irish than British in Northern Ireland is extremely simplistic and politically naive. People have differing and overlapping identities and a majority want to remain in the United Kingdom.
Most identify as Northern Irish which I guess is a fusion between the two, but now UK is leaving EU, I can't see much incentive for the northern irish to remain in the union
katf
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I believe in a united Ireland. Ireland didn't join the UK voluntarily, and the British haven't been particularly nice over the centuries. The partition of Ireland was supposed to be a temporary compromise to broker peace. I don't believe that Northern Ireland will be served well by Brexit, and I don't believe brexiteers care.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by katf)
I believe in a united Ireland. Ireland didn't join the UK voluntarily, and the British haven't been particularly nice over the centuries. The partition of Ireland was supposed to be a temporary compromise to broker peace. I don't believe that Northern Ireland will be served well by Brexit, and I don't believe brexiteers care.
It joined it as "voluntarily" as England or Scotland, by a vote in an unrepresentative and undemocratic parliament. Which, in fairness, is a far more civilised way than most countries were created.

The partition of Ireland was only supposed to be temporary in the context of both Northern and Southern Ireland being devolved parts of the United Kingdom.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
if you were to remove all history - and just take people... and group them together by logic, rather then historical ties.

Either A,

All of the UK+Ireland would be split into its cultural regions (Scotland, Ireland, Norther Ireland, Wales, London/southeast, Cornwall etc)

As that's how the identity/cultural lines form..

or B,

All of the UK + Ireland would be united under 1 country.

---

The reason we have a messy situation where some of the cultural regions are completly independant (ireland), orthers are semi-indipendant (scotland) and some are not independant at all (cornwall) - is just down to the mess of history, the mistake made by the english, and how good the other nations were at fighting and surviving on their own.

I think its one of the greatest regrets of the kingdom, how it handled ireland, and how its still handling scotland, which will eventually lead to scotish independance.

Many many years ago, while ireland was still part of the UK, we should have pushed for a united states of britian. Follow the american model which has been brilliantly succesful in keeping states independent but unified. The UK should have been devided into self-governing sections that had genuine autonomy, and genuinely equal representation and status. Yes it would have led to more break-up initially, but in the long-run it would have kept things closer together and created a more stable base.

Its too late now though, we botched relations between the regional areas years ago, and we will suffer the consequences going forward. Scotland will leave eventually, its just a matter of time. N.I. - well, lets see how they like a post brexit situation. Wales is way behind the others, but mainly out of practical reasons.. even yorkshire/cornwall etc. have small but growing indepdannce movements.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by qwertyK)
The choice isn’t be part of the uk or the roi a boarder poll as it is known would be to become an independent nation which could then open negotiations to join the ROI.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
if you were to remove all history - and just take people... and group them together by logic, rather then historical ties.

Either A,

All of the UK+Ireland would be split into its cultural regions (Scotland, Ireland, Norther Ireland, Wales, London/southeast, Cornwall etc)

As that's how the identity/cultural lines form..

or B,

All of the UK + Ireland would be united under 1 country.

---

The reason we have a messy situation where some of the cultural regions are completly independant (ireland), orthers are semi-indipendant (scotland) and some are not independant at all (cornwall) - is just down to the mess of history, the mistake made by the english, and how good the other nations were at fighting and surviving on their own.

I think its one of the greatest regrets of the kingdom, how it handled ireland, and how its still handling scotland, which will eventually lead to scotish independance.

Many many years ago, while ireland was still part of the UK, we should have pushed for a united states of britian. Follow the american model which has been brilliantly succesful in keeping states independent but unified. The UK should have been devided into self-governing sections that had genuine autonomy, and genuinely equal representation and status. Yes it would have led to more break-up initially, but in the long-run it would have kept things closer together and created a more stable base.

Its too late now though, we botched relations between the regional areas years ago, and we will suffer the consequences going forward. Scotland will leave eventually, its just a matter of time. N.I. - well, lets see how they like a post brexit situation. Wales is way behind the others, but mainly out of practical reasons.. even yorkshire/cornwall etc. have small but growing indepdannce movements.
Scottish independence is not a forgone conclusion in fact its popularity is a very recent thing.

It could quite easily go the other way.

Don’t forget in the last half century Scotland has gone from a Tory heart land to being wiped out to being a labour stronghold to being wiped out to an almost entirely snp lock out to then electing something like a dozen Tory’s to keep them in government.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
Please, do educate us about that. I'd be interested to hear your perspective of how poor old Scotland - with its £1,500 extra per head of public spending, devolution and so on - is being "handled".
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by paul514)
Scottish independence is not a forgone conclusion in fact its popularity is a very recent thing.

It could quite easily go the other way.

Don’t forget in the last half century Scotland has gone from a Tory heart land to being wiped out to being a labour stronghold to being wiped out to an almost entirely snp lock out to then electing something like a dozen Tory’s to keep them in government.
The consistent theme in Scottish politics is the enormous dominance of one political party, which everyone seems to assume will last forever, for a couple of decades, followed by an almighty fall.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by L i b)
The consistent theme in Scottish politics is the enormous dominance of one political party, which everyone seems to assume will last forever, for a couple of decades, followed by an almighty fall.
Indeed this is my point.

Just look at the crash between the 15 and 17 elections.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (64)
23.36%
No (210)
76.64%

Watched Threads