The Student Room Group

GCSEs and Depression?

Hey

I'm a Year 11 with severe anxiety and depression, and as you can probably guess, having these to deal with as well as the expected pressures of GCSEs is making life pretty difficult right now. Any advice for studying or just making it through the year? I'm in the middle of my mocks and my motivation has plummeted so I am really struggling to do any sort of revision which makes me panic more. Appreciate any help, thanks
This may not be the most helpful answer, but I'm in exactly the same situation. My mocks have just started and I'm coming home everyday so emotionally exhausted that I just can't get any revision done...
you need to go eye to eye with your problems and win. nobody will most likely have enough understanding of your situation to help you. only you can save yourself from this hole
As soon as bad thoughts come to your minds, wipe it away immediately. You can both do well. It seems you're trying so that's a very good start!
I went through th exact same thing but I was undiagnosed which made me think it was my own fault. If it’s hard to find the motivation in your current situation, try to think of the future you, the one already in sixth form/college, who’s applying to university. If you caved in to your lack of motivation and gave the bare minimum, would you be happy with that in 2 years time? I look back at myself in GCSEs and I wish I’d just stopped being so lazy and revised more! Sure, I did well, but I know I could have done way better! Use your GCSEs as an opportunity to test how far you can go. If you can push past the feelings caused by your anxiety and depression, you’ll be capable of amazing things which you’ll be really, really proud of in a year! I know this answer probably won’t help but just keep thinking of how happy you’ll be once you get the grades you want and how that feeling will last for a long time. What you feel right now in terms of lacking motivation will go away as soon as these exams are over so don’t let them limit you! Good luck!! I hope you do absolutely amazingly and make yourself proud.
Remove the thoughts before they get worse.
You're both on here trying to do somethjng about it so that's a very good start actually.
Don't think too much or it'll get in the way.
Well done for coming on here and trying . So far so good. !
Original post by Ensorcell
This may not be the most helpful answer, but I'm in exactly the same situation. My mocks have just started and I'm coming home everyday so emotionally exhausted that I just can't get any revision done...

I've got 2 exams left and I'm drained. Like completely. Only 1 week of exams and I'm done, how am I going to do 5? After about Tuesday I just gave up and didn't revise as well as I could have and now my physics exam has gone terribly. Guess we're in this together
Make sure your teachers are aware. I had a panic attack before my maths exam, and I was able to start an hour later to relax, and take a breather from the pressure.

Quick Reply

Latest