Training contract Watch

sanjsk03
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have no a levels and nothing above average GCSE what are my chances of getting a training contract and what shall I do other than CAB, go to court make notes and follow a case, aspiring solicitors commercial awareness competition and get good grades?

I’m just confused because every open day and first year scheme I apply to asks for a levels and I feel as if I won’t get anything?
yasminxsarah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What do you mean you did no A-Levels? Have you got any qualifications equivalent to said level of study?
If no, I'd say speak to some sort of careers advisor as you're in a difficult situation.

Are you currently at university? As that is generally the time of searching for training contracts

Regardless, build some experience in the legal world, apply for vacation schemes, do volunteering (whether that be pro-bono etc.) Whilst these won't guarantee you a training contract, they will benefit you. Once you apply for a TC I it can widely be based on luck sometimes, so try to manufacture your own luck by gaining relevant experience that makes you stand out from the crowd.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Fwd
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I assume youre doing the LLB with the OU.

I know it's sucky, but yes, your chances are incredibly low. It is even hard for students with 5+ A* GCSEs, 3 A* A Levels and a 1st Class degree from a respected university to get a training contract. I think your best bet is to speak to a careers advisor, someone who knows about the legal sector/law students but I can offer you a little advice.

1. Citizens Advice Bureu work is great, or get a job at any legal clinic/solicitors even if its the coffee maker
2. Get lots of extra curricular expierence for your CV/Personal Statements - you can google 'Best extra curriular for law students' or something similar for some ideas (hopefully youre doing this already)
3. Think about getting yourself some A Levels if you can, but will cost you close to £1000 (you can google to find some distance learning colleges, similar to the OU. ie, ICSLearn, Open Study College) You could do these when you finish your degree
4. Make sure you get a high 2:1 or a 1st LLB
5. Go to any networking events you can get into, relating to law or common careers (finance, buisness, HR etc) and meet some people, make a good impression

I hope that helps a little / gives you some ideas, Good luck!
Last edited by Fwd; 1 month ago
sanjsk03
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it! I have been applying for first year schemes and open days. So far been accepted at norton rose Fulbright (although it’s only an open day) and Bristows.

I’ll definitely look into doing voluntary work for CAB. I know solicitors in the field and will see if they can help eg the head of corporate crime director at KPMG.

I appreciate your honesty and know it will be incredibly difficult. I will look into A levels after my degree.
Thanks for your help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (860)
80.37%
Leave (210)
19.63%

Watched Threads