The Student Room Group

Is maths neccersary for PPE

Hiya!

So I've made my PPE applications, Kings, Manchester, Lancaster n then to PP apps to Keele and Liverpool, but I noticed that most universities that I was looking at specifically asked for maths at alevel, I do Politics Philosophy & Economics individually as my alevels and was wondering from people who've done any of those courses how neccersary the alevel in maths was to the course and if all these are gonna straight out reject me???

Thanks, A worried student
Original post by asatina
Hiya!

So I've made my PPE applications, Kings, Manchester, Lancaster n then to PP apps to Keele and Liverpool, but I noticed that most universities that I was looking at specifically asked for maths at alevel, I do Politics Philosophy & Economics individually as my alevels and was wondering from people who've done any of those courses how neccersary the alevel in maths was to the course and if all these are gonna straight out reject me???

Thanks, A worried student

If the courses you've applied for don't explicitly state that you need Maths A-level, then you've got a chance.

I had a friend a few years ago who applied for several PPE courses with Maths AS but not full Maths A-level; she got rejected from Warwick, Oxford and Kings - and two of them stated it was because she was less competitive than applicants with full maths A-level. She got into Manchester and York though.
If they asked for A-level Maths and you don't have it, you will fail to meet their criteria and be rejected. Naturally this doesn't apply to Philosophy & Politics necessarily (unless they ask for it specifically, which I think would be unusual). However, and this is in general, if a university course states a specific subject is required in their entry requirements that is non-negotiable.

Very few universities don't require A-level Maths for economics degrees, including PPE. Some of those that don't explicitly ask for it still implicitly require it (such as Oxford, where 95% of successful applicants to PPE have A-level Maths and/or FM, despite it not being a formal requirement). The few that don't require it will develop that material in the run of the course, so you'll have to study it sooner or later in economics regardless. The courses you've applied to don't require it, so they will teach you the relevant A-level Maths content in the course.

This is not an arbitrary requirement, and is because economics at university level is necessarily mathematical and uses the techniques and methods from A-level Maths (primarily calculus, but also all the topics that relate to or inform that, such as all the algebra, functions, trigonometry etc) fluently to describe economic phenomena. If it is a requirement, they will expect you to have mastered this material already, as demonstrated by doing A-level Maths (or equivalent) and getting whatever grade they stipulate in their offer (and as above, Oxford more or less require it anyway).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
If they asked for A-level Maths and you don't have it, you will fail to meet their criteria and be rejected. Naturally this doesn't apply to Philosophy & Politics necessarily (unless they ask for it specifically, which I think would be unusual). However, and this is in general, if a university course states a specific subject is required in their entry requirements that is non-negotiable.

Very few universities don't require A-level Maths for economics degrees, including PPE. Some of those that don't explicitly ask for it still implicitly require it (such as Oxford, where 95% of successful applicants to PPE have A-level Maths and/or FM, despite it not being a formal requirement). The few that don't require it will develop that material in the run of the course, so you'll have to study it sooner or later in economics regardless. The courses you've applied to don't require it, so they will teach you the relevant A-level Maths content in the course.

This is not an arbitrary requirement, and is because economics at university level is necessarily mathematical and uses the techniques and methods from A-level Maths (primarily calculus, but also all the topics that relate to or inform that, such as all the algebra, functions, trigonometry etc) fluently to describe economic phenomena. If it is a requirement, they will expect you to have mastered this material already, as demonstrated by doing A-level Maths (or equivalent) and getting whatever grade they stipulate in their offer (and as above, Oxford more or less require it anyway).

The unis I've applied for all don't state maths as a mandatory subject, it's not that I don't have any desire or ability to study maths it's just not something I initially thought was the right alevel for a future in politics, if it's that I need to do alevel maths I guess I could do another year of college to achieve the maths alevel. I was sorta set on PPE, so damn.
Original post by asatina
The unis I've applied for all don't state maths as a mandatory subject, it's not that I don't have any desire or ability to study maths it's just not something I initially thought was the right alevel for a future in politics, if it's that I need to do alevel maths I guess I could do another year of college to achieve the maths alevel. I was sorta set on PPE, so damn.

You could still get offers. This is the year with the lowest number of 18 year olds in ages, so you've got less competition. Just wait and see what comes.
Original post by asatina

As they've not stated it (and aren't Oxford) I don't think it's an issue as far as admissions go. They'll teach you the content once you start the course though, and usually it will be at a much quicker pace with a lot less individual attention than taking it in school. If your primary interest is in the politics and/or philosophy side it's unlikely to make much difference in the long term. However be aware that the economics content will be reasonably mathematical usually.

I would suggest doing a bit (not excessive amounts, but enough to be familiar with it still) of revision of your GCSE Maths over the summer before starting the course however (assuming you get offers and achieve those), particularly algebra, graphs, simultaneous equations, ratios and rates of change. These are the most relevant topics, and as you've not been studying maths for a couple years it might be an idea just to refresh yourself on these so you don't potentially get thrown in at the deep end (they may well start you off quite gently on those courses though) once you start the course.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending