The Student Room Group

Drama School Interviews

Hi, my name is Nelvina and I plan on applying for BA Acting at RADA, LAMDA, Royal Central School of Speech and Drama and Guildhall.

However, I know that universities such as Royal Central School of Speech and Drama call in those who have auditioned for interviews. I was wondering, what types of questions do they ask?

I don't have an answer to questions such as "What actor/actress is your inspiration?". This is because I planned on taking up acting as I enjoyed the experience at school- I was not inspired by anyone. I was wondering if this is a good enough answer because I've only recently decided to take up drama as I know I'll miss it when I leave sixth form. Of course I'll expand on how I enjoy acting at school and during my exams, but I don't watch a lot of movies to begin with. Is that bad?

Any advice would be great, thanks!! :smile:
Original post by Nelvina_N
Hi, my name is Nelvina and I plan on applying for BA Acting at RADA, LAMDA, Royal Central School of Speech and Drama and Guildhall.

However, I know that universities such as Royal Central School of Speech and Drama call in those who have auditioned for interviews. I was wondering, what types of questions do they ask?

I don't have an answer to questions such as "What actor/actress is your inspiration?". This is because I planned on taking up acting as I enjoyed the experience at school- I was not inspired by anyone. I was wondering if this is a good enough answer because I've only recently decided to take up drama as I know I'll miss it when I leave sixth form. Of course I'll expand on how I enjoy acting at school and during my exams, but I don't watch a lot of movies to begin with. Is that bad?

Any advice would be great, thanks!! :smile:

Perhaps you should act out the role of a committed drama student attending an interview??? 😁
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Perhaps you should act out the role of a committed drama student attending an interview??? 😁

Hi, sorry for responding so late!
I don't understand what you mean by that
When you say a committed drama student, do you mean a student who knows a lot about movies and practitioners or just be myself?

Thanks!!
Hi, sorry for responding so late!
I don't understand what you mean by that
When you say a committed drama student, do you mean a student who knows a lot about movies and practitioners or just be myself?

Thanks!!

I was joking but also making a serious point. If you don't have a good answer for a question then play the role of someone who has. You want to be an actor, so act!
Reply 4
I was joking but also making a serious point. If you don't have a good answer for a question then play the role of someone who has. You want to be an actor, so act!

Ohhhh
Yeah, that's true. I did practice in front of a mirror and it felt really weird...:facepalm:
Considering that I don't actually have the PROPER, actual acting experience, I just have to be honest and open about it. Thanks for the help!! ^_^
Ohhhh
Yeah, that's true. I did practice in front of a mirror and it felt really weird...:facepalm:
Considering that I don't actually have the PROPER, actual acting experience, I just have to be honest and open about it. Thanks for the help!! ^_^

In any other subject I think it would be called 'blagging it'. In drama, it's called demonstrating your craft!
Reply 6
In any other subject I think it would be called 'blagging it'. In drama, it's called demonstrating your craft!

Haha yeah, I'm just going to be honest and give it my best shot really. If I lie, they'd ask me questions to which I won't know how to answer and that would be SO awkward...

Wether I get accepted or not, I guess at least I can say that I was honest and tried. If I have to apply again n next I'll work on joining drama workshops and actually get experience! Ooof it's actually so scary :bawling:
Haha yeah, I'm just going to be honest and give it my best shot really. If I lie, they'd ask me questions to which I won't know how to answer and that would be SO awkward...

Wether I get accepted or not, I guess at least I can say that I was honest and tried. If I have to apply again n next I'll work on joining drama workshops and actually get experience! Ooof it's actually so scary :bawling:

It's very common to take 2-3 years to be accepted. Dedication is required! 😀
Reply 8
It's very common to take 2-3 years to be accepted. Dedication is required! 😀

Yes I actually spoke to someone from Royal Central and she told me it took her 3 years
I was just thinking wow if I don't get accepted my dad's going to be so mad at me... he's just that person who has ridiculously high expectations of me and my siblings :s-smilie:
Yes I actually spoke to someone from Royal Central and she told me it took her 3 years
I was just thinking wow if I don't get accepted my dad's going to be so mad at me... he's just that person who has ridiculously high expectations of me and my siblings :s-smilie:

Hmmm maybe you need to explain to him the low ratio of acceptance to rejection at schools such as Rada and Lamda!
This may sound harsh, but I find it hard to comprehend the fact that you like acting, but you don't have the drive to reasearch and watch work that is not yours. Acting is a lot about learning from others, so it is natural that they would not be very happy if you tell them that you don't have any trace of interest regarding your craft. There's time left, maybe start now, you'll see how much your perception will change.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Elrojomoro
This may sound harsh, but I find it hard to comprehend the fact that you like acting, but you don't have the drive to reasearch and watch work that is not yours. Acting is a lot about learning from others, so it is natural that they would not be verry happy if you tell them that you don't have any trace of interest regarding your craft. There's time left, maybe start now, you'll see how much your perception will change.

Don't worry, I understand where you're coming from. I appreciate the honesty!
I just tried to clear out my monologues before jumping into the research as that's whats been stressing me out the most and it didn't help that I had other problems of my own that I had to sort out. I'm not trying to make it an excuse but I've planned to use my christmas holiday as a time to study and further watch other people on youtube and things like that. I've done work on different practitioners so far so I have some background knowledge on the practitioners and plays I like. I'll continue as from next week when my holidays start.
Reply 12
Hmmm maybe you need to explain to him the low ratio of acceptance to rejection at schools such as Rada and Lamda!

I've told him about RADA and he told me not to apply but I told him i have no choice since it's what I want to do. I'll have to bring up the topic again at some point and seriously talk about it because he stresses me out a lot in general lol
I've told him about RADA and he told me not to apply but I told him i have no choice since it's what I want to do. I'll have to bring up the topic again at some point and seriously talk about it because he stresses me out a lot in general lol

Take him to a Rada performance to impress him.

Quick Reply