Back to Budgeting: Spangle's return to academia! Watch

SpangleMagnet
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Okay all. I have no idea how to really do this but I decided to make a GYG thread all about my preparation to go back to university for a Master's degree and- hopefully- on to a PhD.

It's a bit different, because not only am I a postgrad, I am also a mature student, currently working full time as a teacher, with both a BA and MA to my name already.

But yes! I have accepted an offer to study the MLitt: The Gothic Imagination at the University of Stirling in September 2019, so I thought it would be good for my own posterity to document the time between as I juggle work and getting myself prepared to return to full time study.

My Academic Journey So Far
Spoiler:
Show

Chronic underachiever at Secondary school (and, tbh, my first time round at Uni) because of various mental and physical health issues.

I studied English Literature, Early Modern History and Drama at A Level (back in the days before A*) and managed AAB.

I then went to Lancaster University to study English Literature, managing to leave with a 2.1 (even though I know I was and am more than capable of having achieved a first).

After this, I began an MA in Viking and Anglo Saxon Studies at the University of Nottingham, but was forced to withdraw as my mental health plummeted catastrophically. The next year, I tried again and studied for an MA in Medieval Studies at Royal Holloway, which I got a Merit in (again, am more than capable of distinction!). Gained a place at the University of Leicester for a PhD but it wasn't the right time, so withdrew.

Then, I ended up working in schools and training to become a teacher, on the School's Direct pathway. Did a PGCE conversion top up too, because academia is my thang.

So yes! I'm hoping that I will be able to continue with this blog/journal/stream of consciousness in order to achieve what I know I am capable of achieving this time round. My previous studies were in a slightly different field (still Literature based, but Medieval!) so yes. Working for the past few years and saving some money I inherited means I can afford to go back, so I figured whilst I'm still (relatively) young and have no spouse, house and/or spawn to tie me down, why not go for it?
SpangleMagnet
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
29/11/2018

Okay so as always with me I started something and then walked away from it for a few days, haha. Oh well!

I've been pretty poorly the last week- didn't actually get to work the last three days- and that's also affected my prep stuff. I've set up a folder and managed to do a little bit of reading whilst I was at home in order to keep it from feeling like a total waste of time, but didn't get through much.

I created a checklist/reading list for myself of all the primary texts I'd like to read/reread, films I'd like to watch/rewatch and a place to log any secondary reading I do, including a small space for notes when I've finished them. My job is actually a bit unorthodox so it gives me time to actually do these things, which is pretty good!

Last week I finished reading She by H Rider Haggard. Lots of interesting ideas and themes in it; wouldn't say I 'enjoyed it' per say because of Haggard's writing style but it was interesting and might be a good and fruitful text for future research! I've started my next one, which is The Jewel of Seven Stars by Bram Stoker and I'm hoping it will also be fruitful!
SpangleMagnet
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
11/01/2019

Ha, nearly two months later...

So. Not much has actually changed, other than I finished The Jewel of Seven Stars- quite interesting, actually, and I've made a list of further reading/film adaptations to watch at some point- and have started an anthology of classic werewolf stories (Christmas present!). Christmas was actually really good, lots of fun with family and friends. I got a few books that were on my 'to read for Uni' list as presents which is awesome 'cos GOD KNOWS the more obscure or academic books cost a bucket load.

I intended to get to the British Library to do some research over the holidays but that didn't end up happening, mostly because I felt poorly for a lot of it. However I've started doing some colourful notes on the main themes in each novel or story I read and feel could be interesting. I'm trying to begin those positive study habits now so they're just natural to me again in September.

It hit me the other day that I am going to Stirling this year. In 9 months exactly I will have been studying at Stirling for two whole days. That's crazy! Exciting but also terrifying. What have I let myself in for!?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.89%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27.03%
Not great so far... (282)
35.79%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.29%

Watched Threads