The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Studying English at Lancaster

I have applied to study english lit at Lancaster. What is the workload like? Do you enjoy it? Is the standard of teaching good?
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hi- it's been a long time since I was at Lancaster (graduated single honours English Literature in 2011!) but I thought I'd answer your question :smile:

I remember thoroughly enjoying it, although if I am truly honest it wasn't quite the right course for me as it doesn't go further back than Renaissance Literature. However, that's a personal thing and doesn't stop the course from being enjoyable, varied and fairly rigorous. The workload was as heavy as you wanted it to be; apart from the required reading for each course (which you could do in advance!) it was up to you how much research, wider reading etc you did. Being an essay based subject there was at least one essay or extended project for each module/half module and then the dissertation which was compulsory for all single-honours students.

All the teachers I had were great, I still have very fond memories of Brian Baker and the third year Science Fiction half module I took with him (and the Literature and Film module he taught whilst Kamilla Elliot was on sabbatical!).

Good luck, Lancaster was a great place to study (and even though it was a long walk to County for seminars/lectures every day, Pendle is the best college :wink: )
Thank you so much for the response, very helpful and encouraging :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending