phatdaddyrice
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m writing a critical essay on the importance of eyebrows in gothic literature (weird, I know, but it’s an in joke with my teacher) and am trying to come up with a witty title, can someone help???
Parker Tracy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by phatdaddyrice)
I’m writing a critical essay on the importance of eyebrows in gothic literature (weird, I know, but it’s an in joke with my teacher) and am trying to come up with a witty title, can someone help???
what novels are you writing about? That might help...
lucie306
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
'In gothic literature the use of the eyes and eyebrows are key to communicating complex emotions and promoting character development.' How far is this true of (insert novel/s here)?
Last edited by lucie306; 2 years ago
phatdaddyrice
Rep:
?
(Original post by lucie306)
'In gothic literature the use of the eyes and eyebrows are key to communicating complex emotions and promoting character development.' How far is this true of (insert novel/s here)?
I like that, but I’m trying to come up with a joke if that makes sense? My friend came up with “eyebrows on fleek: the importance of eyebrows in gothic literature” but idk lmao
Parker Tracy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I like that, but I’m trying to come up with a joke if that makes sense? My friend came up with “eyebrows on fleek: the importance of eyebrows in gothic literature” but idk lmao
I would advise against you using slang terminology that your examiner will (a) not appreciate/understand (b) think is a reflection of a limited vocabulary. This is an English dissertation after all, and using appropriate register is important. It's fine to come up with a fun title, but don't take this too far.

You could go down the route of a pretty bad pun: "Browsing the Gothic"?

Or alliterative (depending on texts you are looking at) : "Blood, brows, and things that go bump in the night"

Or the witty: "Hair raising gothic - an exploration of eyebrows in (and name the texts)"
phatdaddyrice
Rep:
?
(Original post by LiyoS)
I would advise against you using slang terminology that your examiner will (a) not appreciate/understand (b) think is a reflection of a limited vocabulary. This is an English dissertation after all, and using appropriate register is important. It's fine to come up with a fun title, but don't take this too far.

You could go down the route of a pretty bad pun: "Browsing the Gothic"?

Or alliterative (depending on texts you are looking at) : "Blood, brows, and things that go bump in the night"

Or the witty: "Hair raising gothic - an exploration of eyebrows in (and name the texts)"
Thank you!!! This isn’t any sort of actual assessment I’m doing it as an extra just to have a laugh with my teacher (I am literally the biggest English nerd in the world 😂) but your ideas are actually amazing
Parker Tracy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you!!! This isn’t any sort of actual assessment I’m doing it as an extra just to have a laugh with my teacher (I am literally the biggest English nerd in the world 😂) but your ideas are actually amazing
Ah, good! Glad you enjoyed. Thumb me up. And best of luck with all your studies!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (57)
65.52%
I don't have everything I need (30)
34.48%

Watched Threads