The Student Room Group

Entry requirements

If I don't have the predicted grades a university is asking for, but achieve the grades they're asking for then apply the following year, will I have a shot? Does taking a gap year harm my chances? And how important are personal statements to prestigious universities? I've been told that mine is Oxbridge standard, but I'm on As and Bs with Bs as my predicted grades and they're asking for A*s. I don't have any work experience in my chosen subject or anything, but I have plenty of retail work experience.

Essentially, would it be a waste of an application space for me to put Durham, Oxford or Cambridge down?
Are you predicted BBB? If so, it probably would be a waste to put down unis with A* requirements to be honest with you. However, if you’re wanting to take a gap year, if you achieve the grades theyre asking for then it should be more than fine to apply in your gap year with your achieved grades. Taking a gap year should not harm your chances in anyway :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by bubblecat
Are you predicted BBB? If so, it probably would be a waste to put down unis with A* requirements to be honest with you. However, if you’re wanting to take a gap year, if you achieve the grades theyre asking for then it should be more than fine to apply in your gap year with your achieved grades. Taking a gap year should not harm your chances in anyway :smile:

Oh cool! Pretty harsh that they base it off of your predicted grades though right? I've been getting Bs since the start! Maybe they're scared of placing them too high because it looks better if I exceed them rather than miss them?

Regardless, my ego is insulted. Thanks for the response. It was quick!
Original post by Mick Beever
Pretty harsh that they base it off of your predicted grades though right?

What else could they do?

If you expect to exceed your predicted grades, then I'd ask fro them to be raised. Otherwise, if you beat your offer, there's adjustment or a gap year. It might be an idea to plan what you'd do in a gap year - you need to make it count.
Just so you know, work experience has little relevance for those kind of universities. They much prefer you to do extra reading into your chosen subject and for you to develop your own ideas from it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending