How does the Study Abroad scheme work at Sussex? Watch

tjrt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi there!

I’m thinking of coming to study International Relations BA at Sussex in 2019 (I have a conditional offer at the moment), and I was hoping for some advice about the study abroad scheme.

For me, a year abroad is practically essential in my course. All the other unis I have applied to have it guaranteed, and Sussex is the only one that doesn’t! Do any current students know what the process is like to get onto the study abroad scheme, and a) the chances of being accepted and what requirements they have b) how competitive is it c) getting where you want to go.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Also, on an unrelated topic, how often does the average student actually go to the city of Brighton?

Thank you!!
kate-Bush
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by tjrt)
Hi there!

I’m thinking of coming to study International Relations BA at Sussex in 2019 (I have a conditional offer at the moment), and I was hoping for some advice about the study abroad scheme.

For me, a year abroad is practically essential in my course. All the other unis I have applied to have it guaranteed, and Sussex is the only one that doesn’t! Do any current students know what the process is like to get onto the study abroad scheme, and a) the chances of being accepted and what requirements they have b) how competitive is it c) getting where you want to go.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Also, on an unrelated topic, how often does the average student actually go to the city of Brighton?

Thank you!!
as a sussex student, i go into brighton quite a lot (at least once, maybe twice a week), so a lot of bus fees lol. Most students who want a night out, want to do stuff outside of the uni will go to brighton. It's lit as hell.

Sorry can't say much about study abroad, im doing a placement
username4520852
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It's really easy to get onto study abroad provided you fill out the forms and everything. Voluntary study abroad year was available for anyone averaging a 2:1 or above in first year (apply for it in second year to go abroad in third). Study abroad term you apply for in first year and go first or second term of second year.

The form you get from the study abroad office. You had to include:
1) Personal Details
2) Reasons you want to go on study abroad year/term
3) your academic advisors signature
4) list of unis you'd like to go to in order of preference.

Your department gives you a list of study abroad locations for your subject. You also have to prove that the exchange university offers the equivalent core modules if they are required as part of your term/year. People usually get their first or second choice of uni provided its not in Australia or America as they are very oversubscribed.

This info is two years old so idk if they've changed anything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%