cerysdafina
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
i’m in year 12 studying media studies along with other subjects. i want to study fashion styling and production but i haven’t studied art or fashion therefore have no idea where to start with a portfolio. can anyone give me any guidance or send me in the direction for useful materials. i am willing to take a year off once i’ve done my alevels to possible get a level 3 in art and design although i’m unsure how helpful that would be
thanks
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by cerysdafina)
i’m in year 12 studying media studies along with other subjects. i want to study fashion styling and production but i haven’t studied art or fashion therefore have no idea where to start with a portfolio. can anyone give me any guidance or send me in the direction for useful materials. i am willing to take a year off once i’ve done my alevels to possible get a level 3 in art and design although i’m unsure how helpful that would be
thanks
Firstly never imagine the an art foundation diploma will feel like a year off. They’re very intensive courses! That’s why they’re useful for improving your portfolio as they have time to experiment as well as a lot of time simply creating new work.

For fashion courses you need to research what the course will involve - “styling and production “ is quite vague. The university/college should have portfolio guidelines online. If they don’t then if you contact them they should be able to provide you with them.

Without guidelines any efforts could be wasted.
cerysdafina
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Firstly never imagine the an art foundation diploma will feel like a year off. They’re very intensive courses! That’s why they’re useful for improving your portfolio as they have time to experiment as well as a lot of time simply creating new work.

For fashion courses you need to research what the course will involve - “styling and production “ is quite vague. The university/college should have portfolio guidelines online. If they don’t then if you contact them they should be able to provide you with them.

Without guidelines any efforts could be wasted.
i appreciate your reply, i have actually done a lot of research, at my local college the art foundation diploma is a year long course. i’ve always wanted to do something with production but had not until fairly recently thought about incorporating my love for fashion into it. i’m looking at london college of art and they don’t really have guideline for a fashion portfolio only really art so i will be sure to contact them thank you very much
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
London College of Art? I’ve never heard of them?
cerysdafina
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
London College of Art? I’ve never heard of them?
i meant london college of fashion lmao
Ravensbourne
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by cerysdafina)
thanks
Hi cerysdafina,

It is normal to be unsure about what to add to your portfolio when applying for university. As a student, I would recommend you to attend the universities you are thinking of applying to and see if they may have portfolio workshops or even contact the tutor and see if you could get the advice of what they are looking for within a portfolio.

Though you might like to know about Ravensbourne University, We are an industry focused design and digital media university. We have an excellent 96.4% employability rate and are taught by experienced staff and industry experts.

As you are unsure about what creative path to go down I would recommend that you look into doing a foundation course. We offer different foundation courses that you may be interested in. As a student who has done a foundation course at Ravensbourne, I can say that it was really helpful in guiding me to the course I am doing now. Within the foundation year, you will get to experience different creative paths such as Fashion, Architecture, photography, and graphics as well as other things. Then you chose can choose one to focus on for the rest of the year.

We also offer different Fashion course, here you will be able to see what the different courses offer

We have open days that include portfolio workshops, so you will get an insight into what art and design courses are looking for in your portfolio at interviews. You will be able to talk to the tutor and ask any question you may have about the foundation courses and the BA Fashion course as well. You will also be able to get to see students work.

Hope this was helpful, good luck with everything

Katy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (10)
5.43%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (101)
54.89%
No (73)
39.67%

Watched Threads