Cops ram moped criminals, crime drops 36% Watch

Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
how do they know who it is though, theyre just attacking random people sometimes surely, says itself the helmets conceal identity
Trinculo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, yeah. So much approval here and by the public in general.

All it will take is one IOPC investigation that looks remotely like it will go the wrong way, and no officer will use this tactic ever again, unless its a matter of life or death - which it almost certainly won't be. As soon as that becomes known, scooter crime will skyrocket.

Remember the London riots? What was the context? Leading up to them, an officer was charged for a death during public order situation, and the Met had years of criticism over public order tactics. The result - no willingness by officers or leaders to deal aggressively with small scale rioting / disorder - leading to large scale rioting and disorder.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
how do they know who it is though, theyre just attacking random people sometimes surely, says itself the helmets conceal identity
If you're riding a moped you'd better stop if a police car drives behind you with it's blue lights flashing?

TBH they've released a show reel of chase terminations. you don't get to see the preceding chase or the hear information the cops are getting over the radio... if you edit out all the context it's going to look the same whether or not the cops are just randomly colliding with innocent moped riders for no reason... but that doesn't mean the cops are randomly colliding with innocent moped riders for no reason.
I think they're expecting the views will have a bit of common sense.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by yudothis)
No, it is not. That is a value statement, not a fact.
I never suggested it was otherwise.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Underscore__)
Preventing some robberies/thefts is worth sacrificing innocent people?
Ultimately, yes, the rule of law being recognised and upheld does sometimes imply some risk of harm to innocent people is tolerable. I can't really imagine how you could run a justice system without that. Where you draw the line, of course, is pretty subjective.
InnerTemple
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Trinculo)
Yeah, yeah. So much approval here and by the public in general.

All it will take is one IOPC investigation that looks remotely like it will go the wrong way, and no officer will use this tactic ever again, unless its a matter of life or death - which it almost certainly won't be. As soon as that becomes known, scooter crime will skyrocket.
Not sure what you mean by "the wrong way". IOPC investigations, just like police investigations, follow the evidence. So long as officers can justify their use of force and things have been done properly, there shouldn't be an issue.

(Original post by Trinculo)
Remember the London riots? What was the context? Leading up to them, an officer was charged for a death during public order situation, and the Met had years of criticism over public order tactics. The result - no willingness by officers or leaders to deal aggressively with small scale rioting / disorder - leading to large scale rioting and disorder.
The 2011 London Riots followed tensions following the shooting of Mark Duggan. No officer was charged following that and, I believe, officers involved in the shooting were treated as witnesses throughout the investigation.
Underscore__
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by L i b)
Ultimately, yes, the rule of law being recognised and upheld does sometimes imply some risk of harm to innocent people is tolerable. I can't really imagine how you could run a justice system without that. Where you draw the line, of course, is pretty subjective.
Okay well I suppose I value human life more than you do
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
EvaFan101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My favourite hobby is watching kids get knocked off mopeds, thank you the police.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What do you propose the police do then?

Let these people do this?
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm sure people who've been punched, stabbed, hit with hammers or had acid thrown in their faces by moped criminals will be touched by your compassion.

These guys aren't getting rammed for parking illegally or having a noisy exhaust pipe, they're violent thugs who have been dishing out life changing injuries and leaving innocent people afraid to go out.

They are given an opportunity to surrender to the police without risking inury and they prefer to chance it.
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
What do you propose the police do then?

Let these people do this?
I don’t know which is why I don’t work in strategy for the police. Your suggestion that the choices are allow people to get away with crime or kill a few innocent people is patently absurd.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don’t know which is why I don’t work in strategy for the police. Your suggestion that the choices are allow people to get away with crime or kill a few innocent people is patently absurd.
That’s clearly not the choice is it? Before even thinking of nudging the moped the police would have to examine public safety. Nudging a moped kills no innocent people.
louieee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
rud, dud, ra tatatataa

do do doo, 'lectric funeral
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Are you assuming the moped criminals aren't a threat to life? There have been quite a few stabbings, and these criminals need to be stopped. The law should not provide and protect an escape route for criminals.
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
I'm sure people who've been punched, stabbed, hit with hammers or had acid thrown in their faces by moped criminals will be touched by your compassion.

These guys aren't getting rammed for parking illegally or having a noisy exhaust pipe, they're violent thugs who have been dishing out life changing injuries and leaving innocent people afraid to go out.

They are given an opportunity to surrender to the police without risking inury and they prefer to chance it.
So you missed the part where I specifically addressed a poster saying that it is worth sacrificing INNOCENT people?
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
That’s clearly not the choice is it? Before even thinking of nudging the moped the police would have to examine public safety. Nudging a moped kills no innocent people.
You, as the previous poster did, seem to missing the fact that I addressed someone saying that sacrificing a few innocent lives is worth curbing moped crime
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ThomH97)
Are you assuming the moped criminals aren't a threat to life? There have been quite a few stabbings, and these criminals need to be stopped. The law should not provide and protect an escape route for criminals.
For the third time, please follow the chain rather than taking things out of context
Last edited by Underscore__; 1 month ago
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You, as the previous poster did, seem to missing the fact that I addressed someone saying that sacrificing a few innocent lives is worth curbing moped crime
I’m saying that the police are well trained and will only pull this manoeuvre when it is safe to do so for the public.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
For the third time, please follow the chain rather than taking things out of context
Why would you blame the police for a criminal killing an innocent? Unless the criminal is insane, they are accountable for their choices and actions. A cop killing an innocent to get to a criminal is another matter, but none of what was in the video clips came close to that.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by L i b)
I never suggested it was otherwise.
Your authoritative tone suggests otherwise, though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1619)
79.13%
Leave (427)
20.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed